PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Ford Focus running lights ?

Stephen Tashiro
12-01-2017, 2:51 PM
A friend of mine has a 2007 Ford Focus and she even has the owner's manuals. However, from those manuals, I can't tell if her particular version of the car has running lights - and, if it has running lights, where would those lights would be? Are they part of the headlight assembly?

No running lights come on when she starts the car. The car was purchased as a used car, so perhaps some bulbs have burned out. The wording in the owners manual indicates that not all versions of the 2007 Focus have running lights.

Below the headlights, there are round lights in the lower bumper. (as in the generic photo: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/Ford/Focus-4-Cyl/Sedan-4D-ZX4-SE/Values
) I'd expect these to be "parking lights". The Ford manual only speaks of "fog lights". When she turns the fog lights on, only yellow lights come on. The yellow lights are in the main headlight assembly and on the sides of the bumper. The round lights in the lower bumper never come on no matter what we do, so I expect the bulbs are bad.

Jim Becker
12-01-2017, 5:13 PM
Daytime running lights typically only light when the vehicle is "in gear"...so you need to take that into account while looking for them. Some vehicles have separate lights for this and some use the low-beams at a "lower power/light" setting for this purpose. While almost all current generation vehicles have DRLs, there are likely quite a few ten year old cars that don't. Sometimes they were options for higher trim levels and absent on lower trim levels...and that would account for the note you found in the manual.

Jerome Stanek
12-01-2017, 6:39 PM
some Fords don't have day time running lights. My 2013 and 2007 doesn't have them the 2007 has auto on when it starts to get dark. My Ford ranger had fog lights but when I got it they where burned out so I replaced them. It had a fog light switch beside the light switch

Matt Meiser
12-03-2017, 9:26 PM
Our 2007 Focus has them and its just the headlights. They are on with the key on.

Its possible to re-generate a window sticker and IIRC ours specifically stated DRL as an option. Google will help you there.

Myk Rian
12-04-2017, 4:33 PM
Daytime running lights typically only light when the vehicle is "in gear"
Well, I'm not in agreement there.
Every Ford I've owned you could turn them on anytime. And that has been a lot of cars.
Here's a 2002 diagram. It should be similar.
https://www.scribd.com/document/99237439/2003-5-Focus-Wired-Diagram
Running and parking lights are the same.

Jim Becker
12-04-2017, 4:48 PM
Running and parking lights are the same.

DRLs and parking lights are not the same thing. DRLs are "white" lamps and are designed to increase the visibility of your vehicle to on-coming traffic during daylight hours when headlights are not used. DRLs are also not usually "controllable" by the driver, although some vehicles do allow them to be turned off through the computer interface, at least in geographies where they are not required by law. There are some drivers who seem to hate them for some reason. DRLs come on automatically if the vehicle is running. Some vehicles do that only when they are in gear; some turn them on all the time the engine is running and the headlights are not active.

Myk Rian
12-04-2017, 5:22 PM
We are discussing a 10-11 year old 2007 vehicle. Lighting systems were a bit different back then.

Matt Meiser
12-05-2017, 9:29 AM
DRL on a Ford window sticker specifically refers to the headlights being on all the time, even in 2007.