PDA

View Full Version : Tryed A New Finish - "kiwi"

Bill Stevener
11-05-2005, 1:23 PM
Hi Gang,
Turned this HF from a slab of Sycamore. The more I looked at it, the more the wood just didn't show anything. At times I think Sycamore, should be spelled Sickormore. Well anyway thought about trying some of the enhancement work seen hear, and on other channels, that's going around and see what comes. Still, did not approve. Sooooo I got out a bottle of "Kiwi" shoe polish and went to town.
This is something I rarely do, staining or dying, I believe I have only stained about, max. 5 pieces of anything I've created in this life.
Well I did leave some wood showing.;)
Did give it a name "Illini" 9"w x 3"h Finish - "Kiwi" shoe polish, 3 coats of spray lacquer, and the full volley of the Beale buff.
Don't know weather I like it or not, but I have half a bottle of Kiwi left to play with.
Your comments are always warmly received.
Thanks for lQQking, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bobby McCarley
11-05-2005, 1:36 PM
Nice job Bill. I have never used shoe polish before but know plenty of people that do. Sycamore is for the most part pretty plain when it comes to color and figure but I seen some slabs posted the other day and it had the prettiest pink color and some great figure to it. Was talking to a friend of mine about it and he said that you have to get a mature tree before it gets any color or figure to it. Was news to me.

I also like your pipe in the picture. Did you also make that?

Bobby
Louisiana

Blake McCully
11-05-2005, 1:51 PM
Bill,
Great piece. Did you use a template for the carving along the top? Looks absolutely great.

Oh, yeah, I like that ceremonial pipe you have in the foreground. As Bobby asked, did you make that as well, betcha did.

Again, super work.

Loy Hawes
11-05-2005, 2:29 PM
That is a great piece Bill. But shoe polish is for the feet on chess pieces! :D

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2005, 2:34 PM
It's a pipe! Never would have guessed.

Bill - The HF is great and looks as though it's been sitting in some retired general's office for the last hundred years and was a souveneer from his first major campaign. Nice job.

Keith Burns
11-05-2005, 3:55 PM
Great piece ! Like the shoe polish. How did you do the feathers, sand blast ? Again I say that is a winner for sure.:)

Dick Parr
11-05-2005, 5:35 PM
Very nice Bill with a lot of detail in it. I think the shoe polish looks good on this piece with all the carving.

Great job.:)

Travis Stinson
11-05-2005, 5:39 PM
Oh yeah! Great piece indeed. Fill us in on the carving/texturing. I really like the color combo of the stained neck and black body, goes together very well.

John Hart
11-05-2005, 5:41 PM
Great Idea Bill! Ya know, that piece really looks like it needed the color! The look of the natural wood is not stolen by the color of the bottom half. Perfect balance.

Jim Ketron
11-05-2005, 7:31 PM
Nice Job Bill! This is the type of embellishments I plan to try someday soon! Just the right amount IMO!

Bill Stevener
11-05-2005, 7:33 PM
Try to answer some of the questions.
I did not make the pipe. It was carved from the true sacred stone, by a Native American Indian. I was fortunate, while working in the state of Washington, to work with the husband of the daughter, of the chief of the Sew Nation. Gerri and I acquired several of the sacred ceremonial pipes, and learned so much about a great people.
I made a pattern-template of the feather from a pc. of brass shim, laid out for the pattern, and traced each feather, to the layout around the HF. Went to Wally-World and purchased a cheep wood burning tool and outlined each feather. The stipple work between the feathers was accomplished with a small, round burring bit in a Dremel tool. Just takes some time, but it was fun.
Now I have to make something else, or go out and buy a pair of black shoes.
Hope this helps some, Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
11-05-2005, 8:06 PM
Thanks Bill. Sounds like a bit of work, but well worth the effort! I know all too well how much a Dremel can work you. Again, nice job.;)

Jim Becker
11-05-2005, 8:17 PM
Outstanding piece, Bill. The carving is wonderful as is the form. I really do like the result you got with the shoe polish...very nice ebonization.

Glenn Hodges
11-07-2005, 6:17 AM
Bill I like the form, the carving, the dyeing, and the contrasting wood so I guess you can tell I think they all go together to make a beautiful piece.

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 9:04 AM
Very nice, Bill! The detail work is great on this piece! I also like the way the colors fit together.

Thanks for the pictures!