PDA

View Full Version : sniff..sniff..I won't be buying any more tools for a while

Mike Schwing
06-25-2003, 8:09 AM
....I spent all of my money yesterday on a new Suburban....the old vehicle just up and died.

Its bittersweet for sure, as I was hoping to get that Performax drum sander, but I guess the belt sander will see more use after all.

Jim Becker
06-25-2003, 9:07 AM
....I spent all of my money yesterday on a new Suburban....the old vehicle just up and died.

I believe that the Suburban counts as a tool just as much as a pickup truck. Therefore, I nominate your post as a huge stealth gloat! :eek:

Dave Anderson NH
06-25-2003, 9:11 AM
Well Mike at least you have reliable transport. Even though you can't buy tools for a while there is always the matter of WOOD. Take some time and build a few things. It'll make you feel better and lay the groundwork with SWMBO for tool purchases down the road.

Mike Schwing
06-25-2003, 9:16 AM
I believe that the Suburban counts as a tool just as much as a pickup truck. Therefore, I nominate your post as a huge stealth gloat! :eek:
Jim - you know my issue with gloat from the other place ;). Anyway, you might not believe how much tool buying factored into my buying equation. I then took a mental inventory, and after finding my brain missing, decided that on its own would be enough excuse to go for the big one. With regard to the Mrs., I gave her a guesstimate on a monthly payment at zero percent, and she said "anything over that I own", so you know where I stayed!

Honestly, as a new woodworker, I've got more than enough tools, and it'll do me well to learn the remaining techniques I could have gotten away with not knowing by owning a drum sander. Besides, its finally warm and dry outside - time to WD40 the tools and put them away for a few months.

Mrs and I are finally going on our two year delayed honeymoon in two weeks anyway..

Jim Becker
06-25-2003, 9:23 AM
Jim - you know my issue with gloat from the other place ;).

Gloats are allowed and encouraged here, especially when they are "creative"

Honestly, as a new woodworker, I've got more than enough tools, and it'll do me well to learn the remaining techniques I could have gotten away with not knowing by owning a drum sander.

True. A drum sander is "nice to have", but there are certainly other ways to accomplish the task...and it's always good to learn alternative methods for anything.

Besides, its finally warm and dry outside - time to WD40 the tools and put them away for a few months.

I believe that putting one's tools away for a few months is a serious sin. Consult the clergy of your choice on this matter... :rolleyes:

Mrs and I are finally going on our two year delayed honeymoon in two weeks anyway..

Mazel Tov!! That's about the only valid excuse for the item above... :D

Richard Allen
06-25-2003, 10:43 AM

Hi Mike

Tools are great to get and woodworking is a LOT of fun. But it is nice to see that you have your priorities straight. Family should take precedent over job and hobbies. Have a great vacation.

Thanks

Don Farr
06-25-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll miss your new tool gloats. You'r right about one thing, the warm weather and pool out the back door are just a little more inviting than the shop right now.

Paul Downes
06-25-2003, 3:19 PM

Mike, Thanks for keeping us G.M. folks in tool money :D . Treat the missus well on that h-moon and promise you won't look at any tools covetously while away.