PDA

View Full Version : Look what came in the mail today :)

Ron Stadler
11-30-2017, 9:35 PM
372599There she is, but do you see one very important thing missing?

Ron Stadler
11-30-2017, 9:37 PM
Well i guess I'm going to have to give it away, i went and took this pic with the modular rest in place but the rest was missing that was supposed to come with the lathe and the modular one that i have in there is to short :( .

David Delo
11-30-2017, 10:23 PM
That's a real kick in the pants but congrats to you Ron on your new mustard.

Tom Giacomo
11-30-2017, 11:15 PM
I do not see the protection cage that usually comes with that lathe. Also I don't think it came by mail. Nice lathe though, I have an older model.

John K Jordan
12-01-2017, 12:16 AM
I do not see the protection cage that usually comes with that lathe. Also I don't think it came by mail. Nice lathe though, I have an older model.

Maybe it came in the XtraLarge Flat Rate box.

I'm waiting on some turning reports now! (Are you stuck without a rest? Maybe a local turner will loan one, assuming the one for the A or B will work)

JKJ

Bill Blasic
12-01-2017, 6:00 AM
Now that is a pretty lathe!

Jeff Wimer
12-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Supposed to get my new lathe today as well. One of the last 3520b’s being made.

Reed Gray
12-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Well, you are missing a huge pile of shavings..... Have fun..

robo hippy

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2017, 3:01 PM
Yes, that’s what’s missing... wood!

Ron Stadler
12-01-2017, 5:48 PM

Yes, no cage. I believe someone said they no longer come with the new lathes and are now and option.

William C Rogers
12-01-2017, 5:55 PM
Congrats Ron. That is a nice lathe.

Ron Stadler
12-01-2017, 6:10 PM
Yes , all my rest from other lathes are the wrong size :(.
But good idea about borrowing one.

Ron Stadler
12-01-2017, 6:19 PM
Yes, I can't wait to try out this beast and make some shavings. Been watching so many woodturning videos of other people turning wood it's driving me crazy, and lately I've been watching Stuart Batty videos and noticed scars on his arms and a missing finger, anybody no how this happened?

John K Jordan
12-01-2017, 6:21 PM
Yes , all my rest from other lathes are the wrong size :(.
But good idea about borrowing one.

If you have an extra one with the right diameter shaft you could weld a extension on the bottom.

I had the opposite problem! I like the Robust tool rests and bought one for one of my smaller lathes, a Jet 1642. I accidentally got one to fit the 3520b so I had to saw a bit off the end.

JKJ

Ron Stadler
12-01-2017, 9:22 PM
If you have an extra one with the right diameter shaft you could weld a extension on the bottom.

I had the opposite problem! I like the Robust tool rests and bought one for one of my smaller lathes, a Jet 1642. I accidentally got one to fit the 3520b so I had to saw a bit off the end.

JKJ
I gave the thought of making my own also, Robust style maybe. don't really know where you find 1" steel rod though, dont think they sell any at the box stores.

daryl moses
12-01-2017, 9:29 PM
don't really know where you find 1" steel rod though, dont think they sell any at the box stores.
I've purchased 1" round steel stock at Tractor Supply and at Lowes.

John K Jordan
12-01-2017, 11:22 PM
I gave the thought of making my own also, Robust style maybe. don't really know where you find 1" steel rod though, dont think they sell any at the box stores.

I get steel from a large steel supply place, Triple-S in Knoxville, everything from rebar to I-beams to sheet steel, hot rolled or cold. I get offcuts for cheap at a fabrication shop - I dig through their bins and make a pile of what I want and the guy looks at it and says "OK, $5" or whatever. Another place is a local metals recycling yard where you don't know what you'll find that day but whatever it is it will be at scrap prices. (We once found 1/2" titanium tubing for a couple of dollars per 10' length, new stuff. Looked it up and they cost about $200 each.)

The best place for me is in my shed! I bought 8000 lbs of surplus steel at 10 cents a lb and have been using it around the farm for years. The last time I made a tool rest I dug through it and found a long piece of 1". Too bad you don't live down the road.

But one of the handiest places IS down the road from you - the internet road. Online Metals has almost any metal you can imagine (and plastics) in lengths short enough to ship inexpensively. I've bought steel, brass, aluminum, and plastic stock from them just to have on hand to use with the mill and metal lathe. I've had good service from them.
Here is cold rolled mild steel round rod, perfect for tool rest posts: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=198&step=2&top_cat=197

JKJ

Richard Madden
12-02-2017, 6:58 PM
Ron,
See if there's a Fastenal store near you. They have 1" bar.