PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that

Steve Clardy
11-05-2005, 11:21 AM
every time a chisel rolls off the bench, the working end of it hits the concrete floor and takes a chunk out of it:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I need to put lead ballasts in the handles so the handle end hits the floor.

Tyler Howell
11-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Jelly side down Steve!!!

O'tooles Law. ........"Murphy was an optimist!"

Cecil Arnold
11-05-2005, 3:31 PM
What Tyler said.

Steve Schoene
11-05-2005, 5:30 PM
So pads on the floor will do more than protect your feet.

I sure hope my next shop can be set up with wood floors.

Steve Clardy
11-05-2005, 6:28 PM
So pads on the floor will do more than protect your feet.

I sure hope my next shop can be set up with wood floors.

Yes. I use some pads also. But there was none where I was at.:(

When my shop went up, and the floors were going in, I considered a wood floor where most of my machines and benches are. But. Yes, always the but.:o

Concrete was half price of a wooden floor. Joists, insulation, sheeting.:(

Lee DeRaud
11-05-2005, 7:21 PM
Jelly side down Steve!!!

O'tooles Law. ........"Murphy was an optimist!"1. Toast always lands jelly-side-down.
2. Cats always land on their feet.

So if we duct-tape a piece of toast jelly-side-up to the back of a cat and drop the assembly,
which side will hit the ground? Or will it just hover in mid-air, spinning slowly?:eek: :D

Alden Miller
11-05-2005, 7:26 PM
Steve, in this instance wouldn't it be "Oh $*&! Tools" law? :D

-Alden

Peter Mc Mahon
11-06-2005, 8:47 AM
Ah yes,,,,,,,chaos theory.

Lee DeRaud
11-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Ah yes,,,,,,,chaos theory.In my shop, there's no such thing as chaos "theory": I believe in practicing the real thing.:eek:

Peter Mc Mahon
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Thankfully I am a practicing "theoretical physicist".

Michael Perata
11-06-2005, 2:36 PM
Ah yes,,,,,,,chaos theory.
Does that mean in response to Steve's chisel chunking a piece of cold steel a butterfly being struck by a galactic windshield somewhere else in the universe.

Steve Clardy
11-06-2005, 2:50 PM
Does that mean in response to Steve's chisel chunking a piece of cold steel a butterfly being struck by a galactic windshield somewhere else in the universe.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Dan Forman
11-07-2005, 4:16 AM

Are we so certain which was cause and which was effect?

And Steve---if it's any help in uncovering the nature of this mystery, the same thing happens to spokeshave irons that are dropped immediately after sharpening them. DAMHIKT.

Dan

Bob Oehler
11-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey there
I think Lee may have hit on anti gravity with the cat and jelly toast thing.
Need to expirment on this could get messy.

Dropped a chisle this weekend on my wood floor in my shop and the
&*(#^& thing hit a screw that holds the boards down and chipped. Talk about bad luck.

Takecare
Bob Oehler

Alex Yeilding
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM
every time a chisel rolls off the bench, the working end of it hits the concrete floor and takes a chunk out of it

I wouldn't worry too much about it -- some patching cement should repair the chunk taken out of the floor! ;-)

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2005, 2:35 PM
I think Lee may have hit on anti gravity with the cat and jelly toast thing.Even better: since both sides really want to fall, it spins. Can you say "perpetual motion machine"?:cool:

(There's some uncertainty to what happens if the cat dies, but that's a completely different experiment.:p )

Dan Forman
11-07-2005, 3:34 PM
Even better: since both sides really want to fall, it spins. Can you say "perpetual motion machine"?:cool:

(There's some uncertainty to what happens if the cat dies, but that's a completely different experiment.:p )

Is that what the Amish use to power their tablesaws?

Dan

Scott Coffelt
11-07-2005, 3:58 PM
Well I would say it is better that they hit the concrete and not your foot, that would leave a really nasty mark.

Robert Weber
11-07-2005, 4:11 PM
As much fun as this thread has been, let's not forget that putting a heavier weight in the end of a chisel will not affect which end hits the floor first. Gravity affects everything the same, regardless of mass, so the chisel will hit the ground in roughly the same orientation in which is falls off the bench, accounting of course for any spin applied as it rolls off the edge.

There are two things you can do - first, pad your floor. This is good for your back as well as your tools. Second, flatten your chisel handles. Octagonal, oval, whatever your poison...

Rob in Peoria

Wes Harper
11-08-2005, 8:36 PM
If a chisel falls on the floor when you aren't there, does it make a sound?

Keith Christopher
11-08-2005, 9:01 PM
Or when not in use you could pound your chisels into your workbench with a mallet. Or perhaps they need something like an egg yolk in the handle so they never roll off the bench.

Peter Mc Mahon
11-09-2005, 4:32 AM
If gravity effects everything the same then why did the General Lee always nose dive during a jump? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lee DeRaud
11-09-2005, 9:49 AM
If gravity effects everything the same then why did the General Lee always nose dive during a jump? Inquiring minds want to know.Serious answer: nose goes off the ramp first and starts falling before the back does, giving it a forward rotation. Pretty hard to get a car to not do that...the motorcycle guys can give the bars a yank at takeoff.

Funny answer (at least if you're not a Mopar fan): because the engine sucks.:p

Rob Bourgeois
11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
at least it missed you foot and ankle.

Mine missed the floor and feel between my shoe and ankle. I was so happy I didnt have to go sharpen out a nick till I took off the shoe about 30 minutes later...bloody sock stuck to a nice cut on my ankle. :eek: Well at least I know it was sharp. The shoe was a slip on garden type shoe, I had slippped on to go out chop off some screw plugs before bed...never again will wear those in the shop even for a minute.

Bob Oehler
11-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I am not sure but here are some serious considerations on the chisel falling blade first.
1. the handel is less areodynamic and "slows down" more then the blade and thus the blade is in the lead.
2. The center of gravity is toward the blade since it has more density. When the chisel is leaving the table it is balanced on the edge of the bench and leans to the sharp end with the handle up.
3. If #3 is incorrect and you weight the handle it may still land with the blade down but inpact with more energy and do more damage to the chisle, floor, or foot!

4. GOD has a sence of humor and the more perfect the edge the more the chisels will hit the floor.

Takec are
Bob Oehler

Peter Mc Mahon
11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
The engine sucks? The same engine that top fuel NHRA engines are based upon. The same engines that can produce over 5000 hp? And........you never see Daisy "riding" in anything else.

jon harriman
11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Daisy couldn't fit in the General Lee these days, let alone those shorts.

Steve Clardy
11-09-2005, 2:38 PM
Daisy couldn't fit in the General Lee these days, let alone those shorts.

Wahhh!!!! AIn't that the truth. :eek:

Steve Clardy
11-09-2005, 2:40 PM
I am not sure but here are some serious considerations on the chisel falling blade first.
1. the handel is less areodynamic and "slows down" more then the blade and thus the blade is in the lead.
2. The center of gravity is toward the blade since it has more density. When the chisel is leaving the table it is balanced on the edge of the bench and leans to the sharp end with the handle up.
3. If #3 is incorrect and you weight the handle it may still land with the blade down but inpact with more energy and do more damage to the chisle, floor, or foot!

4. GOD has a sence of humor and the more perfect the edge the more the chisels will hit the floor.

Takec are
Bob Oehler

Hmmm. Sounds like a mini parachute may fix the chisel problem.:rolleyes:

Slow it down so it just bumps the floor.:D

Keith Christopher
11-09-2005, 3:54 PM
If gravity effects everything the same then why did the General Lee always nose dive during a jump? Inquiring minds want to know.

To follow up on the first off the ramp answer, mostly this is a Pe and Ke problem. The potential _vs_ kenetic energy. The gravity pull is just what insures it comes back down (not withstanding that there is a Pe for the gravity). so as it goes up a hill kenetic energy is lost and potential energy is gained. The wheels leaving first begin to lose potential energy and gain kenetic energy as the rear of the car is still gaining potential energy. As the kenetic energy falls off the forward motion slows and the effects of gravitational pull seem faster and the car will dip. In the show the drop was such that the front end would hit the ground before the rear of the car would catch up to Ke levels of the front end. (mechanical energy conservation) If the drop were deeper (say a cliff) The rear of the car would catch up to the from and when new forces are applied would cause the car to flip. Then you have some external forces in place and the car will most likely land on its roof.

This is my armchair physics what if memory serves.

Oh and BTW no way does MOPAR suck!

Keith

Chris Giles
11-09-2005, 4:00 PM
As I had my planer in pieces cleaning it today, Murphy's Laws crossed my mind also. Why is it that applying dirty grease to your fingers makes your nose itch so much?:confused: :D