PDA

View Full Version : Spraying white based finishes. I cant see the wet line.

Jason Winterrowd
11-29-2017, 8:34 PM
I am spraying Hydrocote Resisthane plus white finish. I love this stuff as it can be sprayed with my 4 stage Fugi with no thinning required and it is very forgiving of my inexperience. The problem is I cant get the lighting right so I can see the wet line of the spray and so cannot be consistent with full coverage.

What is the best method to direct my lights so I can see what I am doing? I have tried directly overhead and to the side. It seems invisible.

Jim Becker
11-29-2017, 8:50 PM
Lighting for finishing needs to come at a low angle so set up some lighting to the side to help you see what you need to see. And I know exactly what you're dealing with as I'm currently finishing a VERY large workpiece and have similar difficulty. :)

Wayne Lomman
11-30-2017, 6:20 AM
Jim is right. Lighting from the side at a low angle let's you see the wet edge. Use portable lights so you can move them to where you need it. Be prepared to use your body to get in the necessary position to see properly. It also helps to raise your stands a bit higher than normal so you are working closer to eye level. Try all these things and anything else you can think of. It's also necessary to use a systematic approach to the job, be aware of the width of your fan, keep an even distance from the job and have a good memory. Cheers

Jason Winterrowd
12-04-2017, 3:56 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I will start experimenting.