PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting McNaughton coring blades

Ron Borowicz
11-29-2017, 11:44 AM
I have reviewed Reed's video on coring. He also talks about and shows how to adjust the curvature of the blades. My question is on the "flatness of the blade". Some of my blades are completely parallel when resting on a flat surface. On others you can see some air under the middle of the blade where it is not touching. Should the blade be level to a flat surface for the entire length of the blade? If yes, how do you make that adjustment. (Hit it with a hammer?) Thanks

Reed Gray
11-29-2017, 12:03 PM
The air from under the middle comes from the blade torquing as you core lots of bowls and a catch or three adds to it. The gate or fingers that support the blade when coring keep them from tipping over, but the torque is constant. They will generally rock back and forth a bit if you lay them on the table saw or other flat surface. This is when I clamp it in a vice and twist it back up. You can keep coring with them when they are bent, but you need to raise the tool rest a bit. If they get bent too badly, then buy another. They have a limited life...

robo hippy