PDA

View Full Version : Using a cheap shop vac for an air-supplied respirator

Roger Feeley
11-29-2017, 7:37 AM
I have an old triton but the pump doesn’t work. I rigged up one of those had bucket backs by bleeding off most of the air and it worked but was very noisy.

what sort of speed control would work on one of those things? If I slow it down, it would run quieter.

Rod Sheridan
11-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Roger, I certainly wouldn't use a shop vac for breathing air.

A shop vac has a brush type motor in the air stream, as a result there will be contaminants from the brush arcing, and brush wear in your air stream.

If you want an external fan use a small squirrel cage blower without the motor in the airstream.

Can't you obtain parts for your Triton?

Regards, Rod.

John K Jordan
11-29-2017, 12:06 PM
You can get small DC voltage fans at electronic stores and probably from those who repair computers.

JKJ

Bert McMahan
11-29-2017, 12:16 PM
You could probably find an old used CPAP machine from someone who bought a new unit on eBay or something. They're actually designed to supply air, though probably not at massive rates.

Frederick Skelly
11-29-2017, 6:44 PM

+1. I wouldn't use a shop vac for breathing air. It won't be healthy.

Ole Anderson
12-01-2017, 10:21 AM
That is such an obviously bad idea for so many reasons I skipped over the thread three times before finally taking a look.

Ken Combs
12-01-2017, 6:32 PM

A shop vac has a brush type motor in the air stream, as a result there will be contaminants from the brush arcing, and brush wear in your air stream.

If you want an external fan use a small squirrel cage blower without the motor in the airstream.

Can't you obtain parts for your Triton?

Regards, Rod.

I don't think any vac rated for wet pickup has the motor cooling air in the vac's airstream. At least neither of mine are. Both have a separate fan for motor cooling. But, one would have to control the airflow somehow or it would blow the breathing hood off your head! Either use an adjustable bleed in the hose or a motor speed control.

I've considered this solution for my sandblasting hood, both to provide breathing air and to cool the inside of the hood. It gets hot in there!

But, haven't found a source for the lightweight hose needed.

Marc Jeske
12-03-2017, 2:46 PM
Roger - I would try a basic 120 wall box mounted rotary light dimmer, or one of those plug and play w in and out cords/plugs like "Router speed Controls"

Give it a test run though making sure motor is not overheating, etc.

I think most shop vacs are ? "Universal"? motors, so I think that will work.

Ken - I got the cheap lightweight sump pump hose or bilge pump discharge hose used in boats.. very flexy and comfortable for the use, and cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=1+1%2F4+pump+hose&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=204073083599&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16017163957630023857&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027166&hvtargid=kwd-372724184571&ref=pd_sl_4nodz6lyvr_b_p20

I have the absolute smallest Craftsman shop vac dedicated 100% for use when sandblasting at home.

Also only used for this is 25' of the 1 1/4" cheap light hose, it goes up the back of the blasting hood ,Ty Rapped to the canvas, shoots up into the hardhat, and so blows out downward on all sides.

I mainly did it to keep my head cool when blasting hot summer days.

When in use, the vac is always like around the corner totally away from the dust area, but I still have an intake filter rigged.

A clean old loosely balled up t shirt in a coffee can.

Only bad part is some whistling from air velocity.

I should try the dimmer idea on it someday to reduce that.

The setup works great for me as is though.

I use the plain old school silica, the stuff labled "NOT to be used for abrasive blasting"

Will go out now and write "HEPA" and "OSHA Approved" on the coffee can to avoid comments on that part anyway.

Marc