PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 70-220vsr

Chris Fairbanks
11-29-2017, 4:04 AM
Question for you guys... I have a grizzly g0800 lathe already but I also have a 4 and almost 7 year old that like turning with a lot of my help. The challenge is the grizzly is just to big to have them working on without some sort of step stool which is not safe. I was thinking of picking up a smaller lathe i could put out on a lower work bench when they want to turn. So far it’s mostly been pens and small spindle type turnings. Over time it could be some small bowls, etc. I was thinking of something like the rikon 70-220vsr as it seems like a well built lathe and woodcraft has it on sale for $150 off right now. I just wonder if it is to much of a lathe where it would be a pain to move around every so often? Or do you think I am crazy for wanting a 2nd lathe or should I just get a small 10” lathe like a grizzly or penn state one. Thanks!

Ted Baxter
11-29-2017, 8:45 AM
I had the Rikon when I bought my GO800 I sold it because of space issues I love my Grizzly but I have regreted selling the Rikon it every since. It is a really nice lathe I have considered buying another one more than once. If you do buy one I still have the Rikon stand I bought for mine if interested contact me if were close I would sell it. I am in Okla.

ALAN HOLLAR
11-29-2017, 10:27 AM
I have 5 lathes now, one of which is the Rikon in question. If you have room for 2 lathes it isnn't crazy to want 2. It is not uncommon for me to have projects where 2 or 3 of the lathes are in use. The Rikon is a sweet little machine, enough mass to provide reasonable stability but not so heavy that it can't be scooted out of the way if necessary.

Damon McLaughlin
11-29-2017, 12:15 PM
I used to have the Rikon 70-220VSR as well and liked it quite a bit. It now takes up residence in the Vet's Garage, it is the most popular lathe in their woodworking shop. And at its sale price it is a great deal.

Chris Fairbanks
12-05-2017, 3:56 AM
You guys are never good at talking anyone out of spending money :D The rikon arrives tomorrow. Craft Supplies matched woodcrafts sales price and shipped it the same day. Thanks.