PDA

View Full Version : Bessey K clamp question

Rob Blaustein
11-05-2005, 10:16 AM
What are the hole and plastic piece for that are at the end of the shaft on the Bessey K clamps? The plastic piece seems to rotate in the hole, but I can't figure out why. I just got some new clamps as part of that promo and they all have them, though my older ones don't.

Scott Parks
11-05-2005, 10:23 AM
In their current position, they act as a stand so the clamp doesnt fall over on the bench. When you turn and remove it, you can slide the head off the bar and turn it around. When you put it back on the bar backwards, you now have a spreader clamp!

Byron Trantham
11-05-2005, 10:27 AM
On this subject, can older besseys be used this way? Can we get the plastic clips?

Frank Pellow
11-05-2005, 10:30 AM
What are the hole and plastic piece for that are at the end of the shaft on the Bessey K clamps? The plastic piece seems to rotate in the hole, but I can't figure out why. I just got some new clamps as part of that promo and they all have them, though my older ones don't.
Its a new feature that lets you reversse the end then use the clamp as a spreader. I have used the feature a few times and it works well.

Scott Parks
11-05-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a few older ones that have a crimp on the end to keep the bar from sliding off. I suppose you could grind it off, drill a hole, but how to get the plastic stopper?

Jim Becker
11-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I have a few older ones that have a crimp on the end to keep the bar from sliding off. I suppose you could grind it off, drill a hole, but how to get the plastic stopper?

"Make something"... ;) (All but four of my Bessey K-Bodies are the older style, unfortunately, but I haven't had a need for the spreading feature so far)

Rob Blaustein
11-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the replies but I guess I'm still confused. On my older ones there's nothing preventing me from sliding that part off and reversing it to use it as a spreader. So I'm not sure what that hole does other than hold the plastic piece. And although Scott mentioned that that piece acts as a stand, preventing the clamp from falling over, I'm not quite getting it. I guess one feature of the hole is you could hang the clamps upside down on a mounted rod. Scott, if you get a chance and you happen to be taking photos of something else in your shop, a photo of how you use that thing would certainly be appreciated.

Jim Becker
11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
If what you say is true, Rob, than the little welded nub is missing from your clamps. It is/was there to prevent the adjustable portion of the clamp from being able to slide off the end of the bar. Since I store mine "open", that would mean my clamps would fall apart on the wall!!

Rob Blaustein
11-05-2005, 1:44 PM
If what you say is true, Rob, than the little welded nub is missing from your clamps.
Oops--looks like what I said was not true. I just looked more carefully and my older clamps do have the little welded nubs, so only the new ones can do the spreader thing. OK, I guess the mystery is solved. Thanks everyone.
Rob

Richard Wolf
11-05-2005, 3:33 PM
I also was under the impression that you could use the holes to bolt two together to make a longer clamp.

Richard

Dave Falkenstein
11-05-2005, 6:36 PM
I read in another thread somewhere that Bessey will send the plastic pieces if you want to grind off the nubs and drill a hole in your older style clamps. Look for Bessey customer service at:

http://www.jamesmorton.com/

Frank Pellow
11-05-2005, 7:23 PM
I also was under the impression that you could use the holes to bolt two together to make a longer clamp.

Richard
Hey, the is a neat idea! I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actuyally done this.

Alden Miller
11-05-2005, 7:29 PM
Ok, if you can bolt them together to make a longer clamp then I can see the potential. Otherwise when I received my last batch of Bessey's I was not pleased to see the plastic ends.

Actually, I have some pretty long Bessey's already. Anyone local in Maryland want to trade six newer style 24" Bessey's for six 24" older style?

-Alden

Dave O'Nan
11-05-2005, 9:22 PM
I had no idea that you could reverse the head and make it a spreader. I've done that with some of my small grip clamps but I didn't know that could be done with a Bessey. SMC educates me again, thanks, Dave:)

CPeter James
11-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I have used the spreader feature several times, in fact my computer desk is being held up by one in that mode until I get the cabiner made that is supposed to be there. I also used two to unglue (along with a heat gun) some drawers that were too wide and need to be redone. They had Titebond II and came right apart slicker than SN**.

CPeter

Charlie Plesums
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
The little plastic pieces are not very strong... I have already broken one when the clamp tipped over.

I didn't realize you could reverse the head. Thanks SMC.

You don't need the hole to use two clamps to make a longer one. I often combine two besseys by just putting two jaws together and tightening both clamps. The trick is holding them steady until enough pressure is on both clamps so that neither head slips. Awkward, but not as bad as getting out the old pipe clamps if I need a 7 foot clamp.