PDA

View Full Version : looking for side entry drilling jig

allan kuntz
11-28-2017, 7:43 PM
i would like to drill some equally spaced holes into the side of a bowl. Does anyone have any pictures or a link on how to build a jig to do this
Thanks
Al

Brice Rogers
11-28-2017, 7:55 PM
If your lathe has indexing, then perhaps just attach a drill guide (purchased or made) to the toolpost. I suppose that you could take a steel shaft the diameter of your tool post and drill it (perpendicular to the length of the shaft) to the diameter that you want to drill.

Marvin Hasenak
11-28-2017, 8:20 PM
David Reed Smith has plans for a nice jig for side drilling. http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articles/drillguide/drillguide.htm

Grant Wilkinson
11-29-2017, 9:43 AM
Allan: Oneway has a drilling jig. If you want to make your own, it may give you design ideas.

Marvin Hasenak
11-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Allan: Oneway has a drilling jig. If you want to make your own, it may give you design ideas.

If you do make your own I reccommend making the base so that it clamps to the lathe ways and you add a 4 way macro camera slider. The 4 way is a camera cross slide that will allow you to adjust the drill right and left, along with forward and backward movement. The better ones have a nice and accurate scale so you can do repeatable operations. I have gotten some god ones for less than $20. You have to remember, they are not made for this, so if you attempt to use it as a cross slide like on a lathe for cutting purposes you may not get what you expected.

allan kuntz
11-29-2017, 5:10 PM
thanks for the replies. I went with the Oneway drill wizard
Al

William C Rogers
11-29-2017, 7:25 PM
thanks for the replies. I went with the Oneway drill wizard
Al

I have one and works great. Note you will need a old style key type drill. This is so it will fit in their clamp. All of the keyless are too big for their clamp.