PDA

View Full Version : Pens

Bob Yarbrough
11-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Took a pen turning class Thurs. nite. Only 2 students. Was able to make a pen & pencil. What a kick!! Off to the local Woodcraft for a lathe. They have both the Rikon & Jet Mini-VS for +/- $100 more then the Rikon. Any suggestions?

Bob:D

John Hart
11-05-2005, 10:07 AM
......Any suggestions?

Bob:D

Wooo Hooo!!! Suggestions? Only one....Have Fun!!!!:D

Joe Melton
11-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, your life is going to change.
In a few weeks or months, you will realize the cost of the lathe is not as significant as it appears today.
Without doubt, get a variable speed lathe, one you can change the speed of by turning a knob. It will cost you a hundred bucks or so more, but you'l never regret this extra expenditure.
I don't know the Rikon, but have never heard a negative comment about the Jet, and manifold postive ones. Be sure it is variable speed, though.
Good luck, and tell your wife you'll see her less now.
Joe

Blake McCully
11-05-2005, 2:00 PM
Good luck, and tell your wife you'll see her less now.

Nah, don't do that! Show her how to make her own pen. Within about three months, you'll be a two lathe family. I know:eek: That's exactly what happened at our house:D

As soon as we get the new addition put on in the spring, hoping for the mustard colored PM, gee, that'll make three, tough break;)

Andy Hoyt
11-05-2005, 2:42 PM
Don't know where the thread is/was (pretty sure it was in this forum) but not too long ago there someone who thought most favorably of the Rikon.

Joe Judge
11-05-2005, 3:46 PM
Advice?

- Get to know Ryan @ Woodturningz, so that you don't spend a fortune in pen parts from the local stores

- Remember to sleep, eat, go to work, etc -- since pen turning is so addictive, you might forget to do those things.

The upside is: You learn to calculate how many pens you think you could make from various objects you see (tables, chairs, tree stump :-)

-- joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-05-2005, 5:34 PM
Back to the original question about lathes.

I own a Jet Mini and am going to replace it with the Rikon. Since, around here, the non-variable speed versions are exactly the same price, the bigger 12" Diameter, heavier duty frame, tool rest, ease of changing speeds, the indexing, etc. makes sense for me. I also currently own a variable speed lathe and find the variable speed nice, but it is not a requirement to enjoy turning.

Bruce

Randy Meijer
11-06-2005, 3:40 AM
VS vs. 6 speed??? You will find folks on both sides of that fence. There are pros and cons to both. Just don't forget that the JET VS is not a true VS machine. It has 3 speed ranges set by changing the position of a belt. To achieve the "FULL" range of speeds you must twist a dial AND move the belt!!