PDA

View Full Version : Looking for initial inlays

Peter OBrian
11-28-2017, 8:45 AM
Hi everyone. Is anyone aware of who sells small circular initial "disks" or "beads" that I could use for an inlay on a bottle stopper? I want to use the same approach of inlaying a coin, but I want an initial instead. Anybody run across anything that would work? Thanks!

Mark Greenbaum
11-28-2017, 8:54 AM
I have made brass and sterling silver disks and then I hand engrave them for inlays. The brass has to be lacquered after inlay to prevent tarnish; the silver will take longer to tarnish, but can be polished easily. PM me and I can maybe help?

Paul Williams
11-28-2017, 11:00 AM
I had a friend with a laser burn something similar a few years ago.

cody michael
11-28-2017, 4:22 PM
what material are you thinking and how many? If you want a circle with a letter in it I could make a few on my laser cutter for pretty cheap, I have some maple and walnut in 1/16 thickness.

Peter OBrian
11-29-2017, 8:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'm really just looking for something somewhat cheap and easy that would work well as an inlay. I was thinking craft stores would have something, but haven't had any luck. I don't have a material (or any particular letters) in mind, was just thinking it would be a good way to personalize the stoppers for gifts. Maybe the laser cutter is the best way to go, but I thought I'd try "off the shelf" first, if anyone knew of anything that would work. Thanks again, you guys are the best!

William C Rogers
11-29-2017, 8:58 AM
Hobby lobby has what is called "snap charms" that have initials. About 1/2" diameter hammered silver. $2.99 regular, but usually 50% off.

Peter OBrian
11-29-2017, 11:08 AM
William, awesome, thanks so much. Yes, this is really close to what I was thinking. I'll check out hobby lobby and see what they have.