PDA

View Full Version : Dividing jig

Tony Pisano
11-27-2017, 9:59 PM
I'm in the process of building a small tapletop loom, partly at home and partly at the museum where I work part time. It will have 2 ratchet wheels and pawls for advancing the fabric and keeping tension. I wanted tomtry one out of wood so I cut some slices of 1-3/8" dowel. I was trying to figure a way to mark the teeth and came up with an idea that worked pretty well. The circumference of the dowel was about 4.375" and I wanted try ten teeth. I tried 14 at first but it was too fine. Dividing the circumference by 10 came close enough to 7/16" (.437) I drilled a hole in scrap wood to match the hole I put in the center of the disc and pinned the disc in place with the drill bit.
Next, I drilled a 1/16" hole in the scrap wood right at the edge of the disc, then measured around the diameter 7/16" and drilled a second 1/16" hole. I put pins in the two small holes leaving them long enough to stick up above the disc. I made a mark on the disc at the first pin, rotated the disc until that mark lined up with the second pin, and made another mark at the first pin. I continued rotating and marking until I made it all the way around and it came out pretty much on mark. I drew lines from these marks to the center of the disc.
Then I drew a circle inside the disc at the depth I wanted the teeth to be and angled lines from the bottom of each tooth to the top of the next. A few minutes on the scroll saw and the test pc was done and worked pretty well with a dry run. The loom is at the museum so I'm posting a quick sketch.

michael langman
01-18-2018, 9:57 AM
Tony, If you go to woodkiefer1 on youtube and look at his videos, he made a dividing head with a 60 tooth chain sprocket to make some gears for his end vise with a timing belt.
It may help you out .

Tony Pisano
01-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks Michael. This was one of those spur of the moment, how can I make one of these with the limited resources sitting on the bench. The wheels turned out fine for what they do. I'll post some pictures.