PDA

View Full Version : Anchorseal

Thomas Wilson80
11-27-2017, 8:36 PM
Hi - my father in law just cut down a walnut tree and gave me several half logs (cut down the pith) about 12" in length. I would like to make some 9" bowls but won't have time for several weeks. I don't have a lot of experience with anchorseal, but if I just paint it on the middle and ends (all non-bark wood) will it be ok sitting for a few weeks/months? Do I need more than one coat? Thanks in advance.
tom

Fred Belknap
11-27-2017, 9:03 PM
I think the instructions on the can say to use a liberal coat. I coat the ends and 2 or 3 inches down the cut side, I don't think it helps to coat all the non bark wood. The blocks will keep around six months or more. Some wood will crack worse than others so expect some loss.

John K Jordan
11-27-2017, 9:28 PM
Thomas,

I coat the end grain, let it dry, then coat it again. I only have experience with the original Anchorseal and not the new formula.

These should survive better in the cooler weather than in the middle of the summer. Still, I would put them up off the ground and protect them from the sun and rain. But don't wrap the logs tightly in a tarp. But if you can get to them in the time you mention you should have no problems. Walnut is usually pretty stable anyway compared to a lot of species although some individual trees and sections are different from others. I've kept walnut in logs for months without significant degrade although in the summer the white sapwood turns dark quickly.

BTW, other ways to keep small log sections like that for longer times are to immerse them completely in water (called "ponding") or to put them in a freezer. Not needed for just a few months.

JKJ

Bill Blasic
11-28-2017, 7:02 AM
Unlike some folks I have had no problem with either formulation of Anchorseal (Anchorseal or Anchorseal II). I lose the same amount of blanks no matter what I use (this is wood kept outside). Some logs will crack no matter what you do to try and keep them in good shape. I have two shops, a flat woodworking shop 33' X 33' and when I started woodturning I added on a 24' X 36' woodturning shop. The flat woodworking shop (which is the basement underneath the family room and garage) has become a wood depository area for woodturning and for whatever reason the wood I put in there seldom cracks even though it is uncoated. I'll bet that I have lost 5% or less of all pieces I have put in there.

Thomas Wilson80
11-28-2017, 3:08 PM
Thanks for your responses.