PDA

View Full Version : Tool Advice

Jake Byrd
11-05-2005, 8:15 AM
Hey Guys,

I am just starting to get into big turnings(but I cant get to big-only have a jet mini), and all I have are my small pen turning tools. Can anyone give me any advice on a relativly inexpensive, yet good quality, set of larger tools?

Thanks a lot,
Jake

BTW, I want to turn things like hollow forms and platters

Jake Byrd
11-05-2005, 8:19 AM
oh, sorry, one note-they dont have to be sold as a set, if you could tell me a mix of different tools(did I say that right?) that would be great to.

Thanks again,
Jake

Blake McCully
11-05-2005, 2:20 PM
Jake,
Gonna branch out, cool. When you say a set of "small" pen turning tools, what exactly do you mean. Some of them could be usable for other projects. That said, I'll see if I can shed some light for you. I'm sure you will be getting more info than you'll be able to process after the thread is around for a while.

Hollow forms and platters. Ok, for the HF you will obviously need some nice gouges to work the outside, maybe a nice scraper, 1" would work nicely. When I do my HF's, I primarily use my 3/8" spindle gouge. I like it a lot even though it is rather small. My next choice would be my 1/2" bowl, or deep fluted gouge. I have one from Crown as well as an Ellsworth signature gouge. Yeah, going from a 3/8 spindle gouge to an Ellsworth bowl gouge is a big leap, but I use whichever is appropriate for the blank. I use the bowl gouge(s) on the larger blanks cause I can really hog away the material. Oh, I don't do platters, but I do trivits (wooden hot pads) and I use, almost exclusively, my big bowl gouge(s) for them.

For HF's you will also need something that will carve out the inside and depending on what your final profile is will kinda dictate what kind of hollowing tools you need. Again, this all has to be mathced to the size of your project. Now that I've really muddied things up, my favorite hollowing tool (I have a bunch of those too) is a little tool that I bought from Bob Rosand when he did a demonstration for our club. I use that tool almost exclusively unless the vessel is too deep. For those I have a Sorby hollowing tool. Gosh, I can't remember which one it is, but it isn't real big. It has a flat surface that rests on the tool rest to help reduce torque.

Anyhoo, I use either Robert Sorby or Crown tools. I like the Sorby a little better cause they seem to hold an edge better than the Crown's do, just MHO.

I notice your are from Winston-Salem, NC. Our youngest son and his family live there. Send me a PM and maybe we can hook up the next time we're in town. I'm trying to get our son interested, he is, but with two little ones and a full time job, his "spare time" is quite limited.

I hope this has been at least some help. Of course, others will be offering adivce as well. So keep the questions coming.

Dick Parr
11-05-2005, 5:39 PM
Jake Harbor Freight sells a very nice set of HSS turning tools that are great to practice with until you know what you are really going to be doing with them. Then you can go out and get the individual tools that you need as an upgrade to the Harbor Freight tools. I have heard nothing but good reports on these tools.

Have fun.

John Hart
11-05-2005, 5:46 PM
I agree with the Harbor Freight route if you're looking for a cheap set to get your feet wet. Also...I really get a kick out of making my own. (That's even cheaper...although, they are uglier!;) )

Jim Ketron
11-05-2005, 7:25 PM
Jake I started out on the Harbor freight tool set and still use some of them, and I think for the price you cant beat them!
The next Question is, do you have a way to keep them sharp?
sharp tools are a must for turning chisels!

Chip Sutherland
11-05-2005, 9:28 PM
...I really get a kick out of making my own. (That's even cheaper...although, they are uglier!;) )

John would you share your source for M2/HSS stock? I'd like to take a crack at making some of my own, too.

John Hart
11-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Chip,
I spent the extra money once to get "good" steel at Woodcraft and made a nice scraper, but since taking the advice of some very knowledgeable folks here on SMC, I started grinding my homemade stuff out of old files and chisels. If you go to flea markets, you can find lots of material suitable for turning chisels for a couple bucks. Sometimes it's too soft but most of the time, especially with the files, it works out great....Then just turn your handles and you're set!

Dick Strauss
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Jake,
I just started turning too. I'm pretty impressed with the HF turning set. I was taught using some big $$ tools on a Powermatic 3520A. My instructor/mentor actually recommended the HF tools for a first set in the "bang for buck" category. My HF tools came pretty sharp from the store. They've worked great on curly ash, mullberry, and locust so far. HF also sells some diamond sharpening tools in the $7-12 range that are great for touch-up of the tools between grinding. The group that I got came in a three pack with coarse/med/fine about 180/240/360 grit equivalent. I'll be making my own scraper tools as soon as I find a source for cheap HSS blanks/bars.

Just got a Delta 46-715 a few days ago for $375 after rebate. Pics will be coming soon.

:( FYI-HF turning tool set is about $36 online and $45 at the local store with a slightly different SKU and finish. It almost seems like a bait and switch tactic that the store wouldn't carry the same product they advertise online without noting online that it is an "online special only"! At either price, it was still a good deal!

Joe Melton
11-07-2005, 1:44 PM
Dick, when Harbor Freight has a lower price on their website, copy that page and take it to the store. They will honor it there. They will not honor the lower price without your taking them a copy of the web page. If you have already bought something at the store, and later find a lower price on the website, you can copy the web page and take it with your receipt to the store for a refund of the difference.
Joe