PDA

View Full Version : LV Cyber Monday

Kurt Cady
11-27-2017, 12:08 AM
Is the website working for anyone? It's 12:07

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2017, 12:19 AM
It's up and running now!

Scored a Shooting Plane in PMV-11 for $262. That was $90 off regular price - I don't recall ever seeing discounts this deep at previous Cyber Mondays.

Thanks Mr. Lee!

Fred

Matthew Hills
11-27-2017, 12:40 AM
It was interesting to see that the seconds were configured with the PMV11 blades.

As a reminder, there are gift certificates available -- these are great to pick up now and use at the next free shipping event.

I took a long look at those duffels, before realizing that they didn't have an LV logo... oh well.

Matt

Jim Koepke
11-27-2017, 1:18 AM
It was interesting to see that the seconds were configured with the PMV11 blades.

(edit)

Matt

My memory is when he came out with the cast round bottom spokeshave it was offered at a ridiculously low price so people would get a sampling of the PMV11 blades.

Maybe that is still part of the plan. Let people try the blades and maybe they will start replacing blades in their old Stanley, Sargent, Millers Falls and any other plane they might have.

jtk

john zulu
11-27-2017, 2:06 AM
You animals. There are no more meat to eat :) Happy cyber Monday sales.

Brian Hale
11-27-2017, 7:59 AM
It's up and running now!

Scored a Shooting Plane in PMV-11 for $262. That was $90 off regular price - I don't recall ever seeing discounts this deep at previous Cyber Mondays.

Thanks Mr. Lee!

Fred

Same here, the Right hand version.

:D :D :D

Scott Winter
11-27-2017, 8:59 AM
Am tempted to bite on the dovetail saw!

Simon MacGowen
11-27-2017, 10:27 AM

If you agree that skills are more important than tools, you wont find anywhere a new and better saw at that price. Don't wait before it is too late. Some "brand name" saws cost four times the price you see there. NO saws will perform 10% better than this LV saw, in a competent hand. In my hand, no saws will perform 1% better than my LV saws, regardless of their price, brand, pitch, set and spline. (1% is already a generous estimate.)

Simon

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2017, 11:51 AM

Scott, I have that saw. It's a STEAL at $51. And I think Simon is right about diminishing returns with more expensive saws.

(Full disclosure: I still want a Ron Bontz saw "just because". Some day.)

Fred

Matt Lau
11-27-2017, 12:42 PM
I felt sorta weird looking at the Cyber Monday stuff and going...eh, I guess I'll buy some Torpedo levels.

I'm not saying that it's bad stuff, but it feels sorta weird not to be lusting over these offerings. I either have it (BU planes, bought used or factory second), or don't feel a need for it (I use japanese disposable saws). :P

Oh, and I'm impressed how fast stuff went. I logged on at 9:05 pm PST, and by 9:08 PST (when the update was live) most of the planes were sold. Yowza!

Pat Barry
11-27-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should splurge on another Firestick with Alexa now that the planes I wanted are sold out.

Simon MacGowen
11-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Scott, I have that saw. It's a STEAL at $51.

Fred

Fred,

I think the shooting plane you fetched was even a bigger steal! Arguably the biggest steal of all in the sale. Get one of the discounted gift cards if still available to buy the track as well for the best results.

Simon

Josh Hutchinson
11-27-2017, 2:23 PM
I'm just starting with hand planes so I logged on looking for a couple planes to round out my small collection. I currently have a LN apron plane and Millers Falls #14 Jack I'm working on restoring.

Grabbed the #6 fore plane and the low angle smooth plane. I was torn between the low angle and the #4-1/2, but then the #4-1/2 sold out, making my mind up for me.

In addition to my apron plane that will give me options with 10", 14", and 18" soles. I added an extra 38 degree blade for the LA smoother.

Hasin Haroon
11-27-2017, 3:53 PM
I picked up a DX60 block plane. I checked very early on when everything was in stock. Man I was tempted by the custom 7 and the small LA smooth plane...I already have almost everything else that was on sale. In the end good sense reigned - no point getting a Custom 7 when I already have a LN 7.

I was very excited to see the DX60 however - one of the finest planes made by Veritas, always wanted one, just couldn't justify it because I already had several others. At this price, it makes sense though. I think I'll sell one of my Veritas LA block planes to make up for it. I was actually surprised to see it was up for so long...the more better known or talked about planes sold out a lot faster than the DX60.

Frederick Skelly
11-27-2017, 9:02 PM
Fred,

I think the shooting plane you fetched was even a bigger steal! Arguably the biggest steal of all in the sale. Get one of the discounted gift cards if still available to buy the track as well for the best results.

Simon

Thanks for the tip Simon!

Roy Turbett
11-27-2017, 9:16 PM
What dovetail saw are you referring to thats on sale?

David Bassett
11-27-2017, 10:20 PM

Dovetail Saw - Manufacturing Second (http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/page.aspx?p=72362&cat=900132&ap=1)

Warren Weckesser
11-27-2017, 10:20 PM

Looks like it hasn't sold out (yet): http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/page.aspx?p=72362&cat=900132&ap=1

Roy Turbett
11-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Looks like it hasn't sold out (yet): http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/page.aspx?p=72362&cat=900132&ap=1

Thanks. Ordered one.

Bruce Mack
11-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Me too. Never experienced tool anhedonia before.

Simon MacGowen
11-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the tip Simon!

You are welcome. If you are to order the track, contact Customer Service so your track is shipped with your shooting plane without separate shipping fees.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
11-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Not sure if you picked up the Veritas saw. But interestingly, Joel at Tools for Working Wood (after seeing our exchange here???) wrote this today in his blog about the Veritas saw, even though Gramercy was his preferred choice:

"The Veritas saw is well made, inexpensive (1/4 of the cost of ours), works very well, but way too modern for my tastes. I don't think it is as easy to use as our saw, but it's the best deal in well-made pistol grip saws."

The Cyber Monday deal at $51 was the best deal of the best deal hands down.

Simon

Frederick Skelly
11-29-2017, 2:14 PM
Not sure if you picked up the Veritas saw. But interestingly, Joel at Tools for Working Wood (after seeing our exchange here???) wrote this today in his blog about the Veritas saw, even though Gramercy was his preferred choice:

"The Veritas saw is well made, inexpensive (1/4 of the cost of ours), works very well, but way too modern for my tastes. I don't think it is as easy to use as our saw, but it's the best deal in well-made pistol grip saws."

The Cyber Monday deal at $51 was the best deal of the best deal hands down.

Simon

+1. I hadnt seen his blog. But your quote of it reinforces my existing opinion that Joel is a pretty stand-up guy, giving credit where due.

Fred

Simon MacGowen
11-29-2017, 2:42 PM
+1. I hadnt seen his blog. But your quote of it reinforces my existing opinion that Joel is a pretty stand-up guy, giving credit where do.

Fred

Sure enough. One can agree or disagree with his tastes, but not question his objectivity here.

For some tools such as handplanes, I care about the looks; for others, like saws cutting dovetails or tenons, I mind more about the results.

Simon