PDA

View Full Version : Another " What wood is it" Question

Bill Berklich
11-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Turning a piece last night. Bargain bin wood from Woodcraft. 1.25 Diameter 12” long 0.426 lbs. Looks like a light shade of mahogany.

The reason I ask is that it literally smells like a horse stall when I’m turning it.

Any ideas?

Andrew Hughes
11-25-2017, 1:06 PM
My guess is Santos Mahogany. It has a very strange smell. I didn't like it at all and will never work with it again.

John C Bush
11-25-2017, 3:56 PM
I have a big pile of Santos Mah. flooring and mills nicely with a sweet nutmeg-gy scent. I grew up on a farm so I may be more reseptive to the nostalgic aroma!! The grain does look like Santos-it has a nice deep red-brown color when oiled.

daryl moses
11-25-2017, 7:26 PM
Reminds me of Red Oak. Red Oak has an odor that could be described as a horse stall.

CHARLES D Richards
11-25-2017, 8:06 PM
I don't think it is red oak, but it does resemble Mahogany or Sapele to me.

Tony Greenway
11-26-2017, 7:56 AM
It looks like the darker section of a hickory tree.

Ron Stadler
11-26-2017, 9:51 AM
Yeah, I had a club member give me a piece of wood that looked exactly like that and he said it was Mahogany. I forgot the particular type of Mahogany though. I made a Native American flute with mine.

Reed Gray
11-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Well, the color and cut part reminds me of bubinga. Very hard. I have seen Lyptus which is a hybrid that Weyerhauser grows down in Brazil. It is very hard and splintery. Mahogany is fairly soft compared to the others. There are a lot of woods that are called 'Mahogany' for marketing purposes, but are not related other than they are trees.. Some woods do smell like horse stalls, or like the cats have been busy on them. Some times the smell comes from when they are starting to die and rot.

robo hippy

Mark Greenbaum
11-27-2017, 2:56 PM
That looks very similar to a mahogany variety I have been working with lately. Not real hard, and turns and sculpts easily. IPE is what I believe it's been called.http://ipedeckinghq.org/img/ipe-decking-maintenance/ipe-wood-maintenance.jpg

Bill Berklich
11-28-2017, 2:50 PM
Well, the color and cut part reminds me of bubinga. Very hard. I have seen Lyptus which is a hybrid that Weyerhauser grows down in Brazil. It is very hard and splintery. Mahogany is fairly soft compared to the others. There are a lot of woods that are called 'Mahogany' for marketing purposes, but are not related other than they are trees.. Some woods do smell like horse stalls, or like the cats have been busy on them. Some times the smell comes from when they are starting to die and rot.

robo hippy

Lol... I was thinking maybe it was Chinese barn wood. It fairly soft and sharp edges are hard to turn (for me anyway) they chip. A skew leaves a nice finish. I'll post the final product once I drill and finish it.