PDA

View Full Version : X-axis stuttering and grinding

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Hello everyone .... I seem to have a problem with my X-axis when starting the machine and I could use help solving it.

When I turn the machine on when the X-axis is trying to go home it Stutters and a grind like noise happens and it never gets home.

When the machine is tuned off I have no problem moving either axis.

I checked all connections if there were any loose

I don't have sensors ... I have micro switches ..... I checked those and seem to be ok

Ii it possible the controller has gone bad?

Thank You in Advance for any and all help

Brian

Bert Kemp
11-25-2017, 10:46 AM
I would check the stepper motor and the belts. Sounds like something is slipping. maybe the stepper gears grinding. I don't know a lot about them but seems like a good place to start looking.

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Hi Bert Thanx for the reply .... I thought the same thing .... but when there is no power everything is smooth .... wonder if it may be the Stepper Motor Driver ?

Brian

Michael Henriksen
11-25-2017, 1:07 PM
Could be a broken wire to the stepper. That will make it stutter.

Bill George
11-25-2017, 1:22 PM
Could be a broken wire to the stepper. That will make it stutter.

What he said, stepper motors usually do not have gears and are built pretty good. Look for a loose or broker wire connection.

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 3:05 PM
Michael and Bill ... spot on .... Broken blue wire ....Thank You very much for that info .... may I ask what is the best way to repair the wire ? .... solder the joint ? .... do I do all 4 wires so they are the same length?

Thanx again:)

Brian

Bill George
11-25-2017, 4:48 PM
Michael and Bill ... spot on .... Broken blue wire ....Thank You very much for that info .... may I ask what is the best way to repair the wire ? .... solder the joint ? .... do I do all 4 wires so they are the same length?

Thanx again:)

Brian

Is it in a high flex area of the wire bundle, if so when you solder the wire it will tend to break again at the solder joint from the flexing. If its just in a part that never flexes, then splice in some of the same stranded wire, use heat shrink tube for insulation put on the wire first and slide down after you solder. Was it cut or broken from handling or how?

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 5:01 PM
Hi Bill .... it was in it is a high area of flex .... so how would one overcome this problem of breaking? .... I can only assume that it broke because of the heat shrink surrounding all 4 wires .... but just a guess on my part .... I did put heat shrink around the repair ..... but I did solder it .... I needed my machine up and running for some Christmas orders .... I can do a proper repair after these go out ..... how do you suggest I repair the break ?

I really appreciate all the help I received :)

Brian

Scott Marquez
11-25-2017, 5:59 PM
Great to hear that you found and repaired the problem.
I would suggest moving the splice joint to an area that doesn't flex, yes it means having two solder joints, but if it in an area that doesn't move it should last forever.
Scott

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 6:06 PM
Hi Scott .... a good suggestion .... I'll have to what gauge the wire is and get some from the electronics store .... I noticed it's silver wire rather than copper .... not sure it's good to mix them ?

Thanx again

Brian

Bill George
11-25-2017, 6:29 PM
Hi Scott .... a good suggestion .... I'll have to what gauge the wire is and get some from the electronics store .... I noticed it's silver wire rather than copper .... not sure it's good to mix them ?

Thanx again

Brian

You want stranded copper wire extra flexible if you can find, auto parts stores usually carry but if you have a Radio Shack that would be the place. If you use crimp on connectors the flexing won't bother as much. I get the good crimp on splices at Home Depot in the electrical dept. Not up to the Mil Spec ones I used in the Air Force but pretty darn good. The USAF went to crimp on connections way before my time in 1961-65. If it was good enough for air craft it will be fine for yours. They required two crimps one on the wire and another on the insulation x2 for splices.

Brian Book
11-25-2017, 9:13 PM
Hi Bill .... another good idea .... you wouldn't happen to have a part number for the crimp on splices ? .... will check it out for Extra Flexible Copper wire

Thanx again

Brian

Bill George
11-26-2017, 9:38 AM
Hi Bill .... another good idea .... you wouldn't happen to have a part number for the crimp on splices ? .... will check it out for Extra Flexible Copper wire

Thanx again

Brian

Home Depot carries a good grade of crimp on splices, here link below, but if you can get T&B they are better quality. Key is crimp the wire and then back a ways to crimp the insulation.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-22-16-AWG-Butt-Splice-Wire-Connectors-in-Red-15-Pack-15-121/202522999

Brian Book
11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanx for that info Bill :)

Brian

Tony Lenkic
11-26-2017, 5:45 PM
Brian,

You can find all parts you need at Sayal electronics outfit closes to you. There are number of locations in southern Ontario.

Brian Book
11-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Hi Tony .... funny you should say that .... I was heading there tomorrow :) .... Thanx Tony :)

Brian

Brian Book
12-12-2017, 4:47 PM
Hello .... well finding Ultraflex 18g wire is a real challenge .... I though I would have been able to find some here in Canada .... but no luck .... anyone know where I can order small Rolls online?

Thanx

Brian

Bill George
12-14-2017, 5:04 PM
Brian, I get a lot of wire and other parts from Amazon, plus I almost never throw anything away with electronics parts or wire inside with out stripping all the good out. Yes I have a few boxes of stuff around but you would be surprised at what I use to build things with.

Brian Book
12-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Thanx Bill .... will give Amazon a try

Brian