PDA

View Full Version : Wand for Lindsay

John K Jordan
11-24-2017, 8:33 PM
My wife's old friend brought her little granddaughter, 9, visiting from Nashville, to the shop this afternoon. I had sent her a voucher for her birthday for an official magic wand made by famous wand maker Mr John while she watched (and maybe helped).

Lindsay came wearing her wizard cape. She picked purpleheart and helped design the shape, learned to sand with the grain:

I think she was excited!

372163 372164

Good clean fun!

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2017, 9:50 PM
A project worth posting! Kudos Lindsay and Mr. John!

Marvin Hasenak
11-24-2017, 9:52 PM
You have made a friend for life.

Jay Mullins
11-24-2017, 10:22 PM
A nice thing to do John.

Jay Mullins

Dok Yager
11-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Very nice John! You have a friend for life. That smile is worth a thousand words.

Mel Fulks
11-25-2017, 12:01 AM
That must be a powerful wand if "blaze orange" is required for working with it!

Frederick Skelly
11-25-2017, 5:31 AM
Very cool John!

John K Jordan
11-25-2017, 6:08 AM
That must be a powerful wand if....

When it was done she asked me if it had real magic in it. I told her what I often tell the others - the real magic is in YOU, the wand is just to help you use it. :)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I get more enjoyment from turning something simple with kids than I do from making another platter or fancy box. And if they come and watch and help it not only makes it special but they can see the whole process and maybe understand a bit about making something (rather than buying it from Walmart). Also, I think just being willing to spend time with them makes them feel special. I'm sure many people here feel the same way.

JKJ

Mark Greenbaum
11-25-2017, 9:39 AM
Beautiful, but did it have Unicorn Horn as a core? Otherwise, it's powerless against He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Glenn C Roberts
11-25-2017, 9:55 AM
John K wrote: ".. just being willing to spend time with them makes them feel special."

Think it works both ways.

David Delo
11-25-2017, 10:05 AM
This is the kind of post where I wish we had a "like" button to click.

Gary Cunningham
11-25-2017, 9:15 PM
It's all fun and games, until she turns you into a toad. Or newt. Or something.
:D

John K Jordan
11-25-2017, 9:36 PM
It's all fun and games, until she turns you into a toad. Or newt. Or something.
:D

But I made her promise to use the wand only for good. In fact, the rules are given in the wand voucher she was sent:

Responsibility of the Owner
The wand may not be used for any evil or selfish purpose.
The wand may not be used to play tricks on helpless people or cats.
The owner will be responsible for any damage from misuse of the wand.
No muggle must ever touch the wand or see it in use.

But I'm not worried - the Wandmaker's Guild protects its members with powerful wards and all wands are useless against them!

JKJ

Ron Stadler
11-26-2017, 9:58 AM
Nice work John, its amost as pretty as she is. :)