PDA

View Full Version : Where to source birds for lathe birdhouse?

cody michael
11-22-2017, 1:27 PM
I found some at hobby lobby but they seem a little to big. The only others I found at Michael's were foam and looked really bad. Is there any online source for a few tiny birds?

My first birdhouse

William C Rogers
11-22-2017, 2:06 PM
Craft supply has some about 1" long. I haven't bought any, just leave mine "birdless". I've never had any luck at craft stores for them.

CHARLES D Richards
11-22-2017, 2:24 PM
Hobby Lobby still has them. To get the small ones look next to the dollhouses. They are often called dollhouse birds.

Mark Greenbaum
11-22-2017, 3:52 PM
Hobby Lobby is where I got mine a couple years ago. At he back of the store near dollhouse stuff. Got to go again on Friday to get more for this year's batch of gifts.

David Delo
11-22-2017, 4:52 PM
Here's the birds I use from Hobby Lobby. A little tricky to CA glue them to the perch because they are so small but just the right size for me.

John K Jordan
11-22-2017, 7:12 PM
I found some at hobby lobby but they seem a little to big.

Sorry, I can't help with your tiny bird search, but perhaps pay attention to your feeling that some are too big! I saw some very nice little turned birdhouse ornaments a few months ago. Unfortunately the gentleman had glued on birds that were too big for the house and the entrance hole - I thought they were way too big but that was just me. If the birds are not to the right scale I'd rather just leave them off. Here's one of my little acorn houses, walnut and something, I think it looks ok with no bird:

To get an idea of the scale a google search for birdhouses with birds will show the size of real birds relative to the entrance hole, for example:

JKJ

Len Mullin
11-22-2017, 7:28 PM
Cody, if you do a search for mushroom birds, you should get a few options of places to buy them at. You can get then from 1/2" on up in size, they look perfect on this type of ornaments. I've bought them in the past, and I'm sorry but I forget the name of the places I bought them from. One of the places name was Flora----- something, these little birds aren't cheap though.
Len

Marvin Hasenak
11-22-2017, 8:02 PM
Not sure where my wife found them, but she said search "miniature birds for crafts".

Mark Greenbaum
11-22-2017, 9:13 PM
What;s the SKU number on that package? I went tonight and the they only had a small baggie with 6 fat birds in it for $3.99 (on sale for $2.89). The ones you show are the same ones I got a couple of years ago, and they're about the right size.

Here's the birds I use from Hobby Lobby. A little tricky to CA glue them to the perch because they are so small but just the right size for me.

David Delo
11-22-2017, 10:06 PM
................#746487

What;s the SKU number on that package? I went tonight and the they only had a small baggie with 6 fat birds in it for $3.99 (on sale for $2.89). The ones you show are the same ones I got a couple of years ago, and they're about the right size.

cody michael
11-22-2017, 10:11 PM
I will go back to hobby lobby and look by doll house. I bought the 6 pack for 3.99 that were by the floral stuff

Paul Kennedy
11-23-2017, 9:41 AM
I bought the small red cardinal birds from Rubberchucky.com. Pk

Leo Van Der Loo
11-23-2017, 1:02 PM
You could turn some small birds, I never add birds to the Birdhouses, makes them look cheap IMO, have added some to a display stand with the Birdhouses on them.

372115 372116

John K Jordan
11-23-2017, 6:02 PM
You could turn some small birds, I never add birds to the Birdhouses, makes them look cheap IMO, have added some to a display stand with the Birdhouses on them.

I didn't want to say that, but I agree. People seem to love birdhouse ornaments without birds. Maybe for people who sell these, try some with and without birds. Also, when I look at my actual bird houses outside I rarely see a bird, and when I do it's not posing but halfway in or out and gone in a flash. Now some birds perched around a little bird feeder would be interesting. But I've never seen a turned bird feeder ornament - why not?

Frank Penta calls these little ornaments "fly" houses. I guess he could glue on a dead fly but I haven't seen that yet.

I like the little turned bird.

JKJ

Doug W Swanson
11-23-2017, 8:55 PM
I get mine from Factorydirectcraft.com. Search for mushroom birds and there's lots of options. I usually get the ones that are 3/4" long as that seems to be the best size for my birdhouses.

Mike Peace
11-25-2017, 10:59 PM
I just released a two part video series on turning a birdhouse ornament and turning the wooden bird. They are easy and look cute. I got the idea from Steven Krumanaker who says folks like the bird house ornaments where he puts the bird on the roof instead of the perch. Here is the link to part 2 with turning the bird. https://youtu.be/2izZRx9IwNY

Larry Matchett
11-25-2017, 11:30 PM
I bought some nice ones from Craft Supplies. Multiple colors.

Mark Greenbaum
11-26-2017, 4:23 PM
Thanks. I have to go to different Hobby Lobby north of NASHVILLE, to see if they have the correct ones. The 6-pack birds look too fat for my likings. OH, and my wife had 6 of the good ones put away from last time I turned, so I've made a few with them as gifts. A few acorn looking thingies, and a mushroom thingy, and now a lighthouse thingy.

................#746487

cody michael
11-28-2017, 4:26 PM
Thanks I found some multi colored and some red ones back by doll houses at hobby lobby, now I need to make another bird house.