PDA

View Full Version : Here's what has me puzzled

Bill Jobe
11-20-2017, 4:04 PM
So.....why has no one suggested that the "Big Bang" (as we struggle to understand why so little antimatter is known to exist within our scope of understanding) has the same MO as the few antimatter particles we have been able to study.
When matter and antimatter touch, a bolt of pure energy is released in equal amounts in opposite directions.
Wouldn't they suspect that the Big Bang went in 2 directions, 180 degrees from one another?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2017, 4:22 PM
The TV show does go in two different directions!;):D

It's one of my favorites.:)

John K Jordan
11-20-2017, 5:08 PM
So.....why has no one suggested .... Wouldn't they suspect that the Big Bang went in 2 directions, 180 degrees from one another?

Assuming one particle pair of antimatter and matter send energy in opposite directions I can imagine that more than one pair in a spherically symmetrical starting configuration might go in apparent random directions so it seems possible that energy flux from enough pairs may be evenly distributed instead of polarized (if I understand what you are speculating). But I don't follow particle physics and these days don't hang with those who do. I do believe there has been a huge amount of speculation on this and other antimatter matters, especially concerning the observed asymmetry conundrum. I suspect Mr SciGoogle will gladly inundate your reading queue.

JKJ

Travis Porter
11-20-2017, 5:32 PM
No..........

Dave Zellers
11-20-2017, 7:54 PM
antimatter matters...
JKJ

HEY! No politics! :D

Wayne Lomman
11-21-2017, 7:11 AM
Err, isn't this science, not politics?

I guess the fact that it is possible to isolate antimatter even in minute quantities will lead to further enlightenment. This idea may have merit. Cheers

Pat Barry
11-21-2017, 7:40 AM
Might not be the right forum for this kind of thread

Brian Tymchak
11-21-2017, 8:19 AM
Might not be the right forum for this kind of thread

Well, it's about as Off Topic as I've seen lately. Kind of along the lines of the old Kent Bathurst postings... :eek:

John K Jordan
11-21-2017, 8:35 AM
Well, it's about as Off Topic as I've seen lately. Kind of along the lines of the old Kent Bathurst postings... :eek:

I find some Off Topic threads quite interesting, some thought provoking, some useful, some entertaining, some, well, never mind... :confused:

I thought this one about the impending end of the world was entertaining: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?195996-Goodby-cruel-world

JKJ

Morey St. Denis
11-21-2017, 8:57 AM
It's all I can manage to be ever vigilant about not permitting Pasta and Antipasto to come together on the same plate. We'd suffer the effects of instantaneous pasta annihilation! Who knows how far that blast radius of sauce might extend?..

Michael Weber
11-21-2017, 11:03 AM
If there was only a 180 degree Big Bang would we exist in a two dimensional universe:confused:

James Waldron
11-21-2017, 11:44 AM
IIRC, AntiSuperman makes a periodic appearance for the never-ending challenge to Superman. Maybe in the next movie?

Bill Jobe
11-21-2017, 1:12 PM
If there was only a 180 degree Big Bang would we exist in a two dimensional universe:confused:

No, I mean half of a sphere, a sphere that we have no idea it's qualities/quantaties.

Bill Jobe
11-21-2017, 1:27 PM
Either space is endless or it is simply living in a minute dot on the map of eternety

We have been given understanding by scientist that as we move away from the big bang, we were headed basically in one direction ever expanding its scope, creating a 'universe' , that doesn't really fly.

I think I've said before. I believe that God's universe expands in all directons infinitely. Atoms make our solar system. Groups of solar systems form galaxys. Those are the only examples we are aware of. But isn't it reasonable to suspect that pattern extends indefinately?

Jebediah Eckert
11-21-2017, 2:35 PM

+1. You win for the most “off” Off Topic on a woodworking forum for the year. No need for anyone else to apply........

Unless Kent comes back.......

Michael Weber
11-21-2017, 8:57 PM
Either space is endless or it is simply living in a minute dot on the map of eternety

We have been given understanding by scientist that as we move away from the big bang, we were headed basically in one direction ever expanding its scope, creating a 'universe' , that doesn't really fly.

I think I've said before. I believe that God's universe expands in all directons infinitely. Atoms make our solar system. Groups of solar systems form galaxys. Those are the only examples we are aware of. But isn't it reasonable to suspect that pattern extends indefinately?

I'm way above my pay grade talking about astronomy. All I know is what I see on Nova, other science shows and a little reading. What I understand is that Galaxies are growing more distant over time. This is confirmed by red shift (doppler) measurements. Not because they are hurtling away from us and each other but because the universe itself is expanding in all directions and the amount of matter maintains a fixed relationship to other matter. If the universe is still expanding it cannot be infinite. At least yet:rolleyes:. Okay, after a little more thinking I guess one could say the universe IS infinite in that it occupies ALL space. Always has and always will regardless of how big or small the universe is, was or becomes. Even before the Big Bang it was infinite in that it occupied all space.

Sam Murdoch
11-21-2017, 10:56 PM
The universe is curved - it all comes back on itself ... and then , what John said in post # 3.

There, discussion ended! :D

Pat Barry
11-22-2017, 7:27 AM
I'm way above my pay grade talking about astronomy. All I know is what I see on Nova, other science shows and a little reading. What I understand is that Galaxies are growing more distant over time. This is confirmed by red shift (doppler) measurements. Not because they are hurtling away from us and each other but because the universe itself is expanding in all directions and the amount of matter maintains a fixed relationship to other matter. If the universe is still expanding it cannot be infinite. At least yet:rolleyes:. Okay, after a little more thinking I guess one could say the universe IS infinite in that it occupies ALL space. Always has and always will regardless of how big or small the universe is, was or becomes. Even before the Big Bang it was infinite in that it occupied all space.
If the universe is still expanding then it is expanding into some, as yet unoccupied space, therefore the universe is finite. The amount of unoccupied space on the other hand may or may not be infinite. If the amount of unoccupied space is finite, then what contains it. What's on the other side of that boundary?

Sam Murdoch
11-22-2017, 7:34 AM
Space is the "infinite" aspect.

Michael Weber
11-22-2017, 10:17 AM
If the universe is still expanding then it is expanding into some, as yet unoccupied space, therefore the universe is finite. The amount of unoccupied space on the other hand may or may not be infinite. If the amount of unoccupied space is finite, then what contains it. What's on the other side of that boundary? Turtles, all the way down?

Bill Jobe
11-22-2017, 6:19 PM
My opologies to the OP if this is a bit off topic, but did you know you have erectile tissue in your nose?
At the rear of each nostril.
The brain engorges one side while allowing the other to go phlacid. This changes brain activity on the 2 sides.
It is a cyclical function. The length of the cycle varies person to person. Some don't have any. Perhaps mouth breathers? I don't know.

Lee DeRaud
11-22-2017, 8:28 PM
My apologies to the OP if this is a bit off topic...Uh, you do realize this is your thread, right?

Jebediah Eckert
11-22-2017, 9:16 PM
Uh, you do realize this is your thread, right?

Haha right ....... officially the strangest thread.

Dave Zellers
11-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Haha right ....... officially the strangest thread.

OMG!

All Matter matters! (no one got my joke, but now that the thread has jumped the shark, what the heck.)

:) Happy Thanksgiving everybody! :)

Rick Potter
11-23-2017, 2:00 PM
Maybe that ''Flat Earth' guy who is now in the news with his rocket is right?

OR

The earth is a big clay pigeon, flying through the twilight zone, waiting for someone with a big shotgun to hit it. (Big Bang)

Lee DeRaud
11-23-2017, 2:41 PM
Terry Pratchett had it right: the world rests on the back of the star tortoise Great A'Tuin as he swims through the universe looking for a mate. (I'm ignoring the elephants, they're just there to make a flat surface.)

Hint: the "Big Bang" comes at the end of that cosmology. :-)

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2017, 2:13 PM
Whew!!! Y'all must have a lot more time on your hands than I do. ;) :)