PDA

View Full Version : Advice for TS Jigs

Gary Curtis
11-04-2005, 5:31 PM
Please suggest a book for TS Jigs.

I already have the books by Kelley Mehler and Jim Tobin. The new table saw that is coming in about 6 weeks has a sliding table (General), so I won't need sleds.

Some interesting jigs appear in the books I own, but the pictures aren't clear. Measured diagrams would help.

I'm new to the Creek and am learning lots from the discussions. I'll post a Gloat with photographs when my shop has a door and the machinery is delivered.

Gary Curtis

Andy Hoyt
11-04-2005, 5:34 PM
Gary - Nothing comes to mind. But I was wondering if Trinity County can still boast that it still does not have one single stop light in it?

Doug Jones
11-04-2005, 5:40 PM
Please suggest a book for TS Jigs.

I already have the books by Kelley Mehler and Jim Tobin. The new table saw that is coming in about 6 weeks has a sliding table (General), so I won't need sleds.

Some interesting jigs appear in the books I own, but the pictures aren't clear. Measured diagrams would help.

I'm new to the Creek and am learning lots from the discussions. I'll post a Gloat with photographs when my shop has a door and the machinery is delivered.

Gary Curtis
I don't have any recommendations but,,,,
Did you do a search on Barns and Noble, Amazon, Google, Yahoo? I'm sure something there will show up.

Andrew Ault
11-04-2005, 5:49 PM
The new Best of Fine Woodworking Working with Tablesaws is pretty good.

Gary Curtis
11-04-2005, 7:49 PM
The Tolpin book on Table Saws shows an intriguing sytem for a sliding Rip Fence,.
It mentions having these fixtures to go with the rip slider: Carriage taper jig, raised panel jig, pattern fence, vacuum actuated fence, long extension fence, edge jointer, rabbet fence, end stop fence, thin stock fence, and a few others.
These things are only mentioned briefly, or shown in a photo with little explanation.

Just having a platform to hold a feather board for safety would be great.
But where are the plans? I'll look up the Taunton Saw Book. Their book on Routers with exerpts by Pat Warner is a treasure trove.

About Trinity County. Yes. Not one stop sign or traffic signal. No jobs, so no growth. 2 million acres, population 13,600. The Indians sued the state to revive the river systems, and the local newspaper showed a 42lb King Salmon caught just 8 miles downstream from Weaverville.

Trinity Lumber Company has their big mill 1.5 miles from my front door. I'm hoping my 20-year old Grizzly 18" bandsaw will serve me well on resawing, cause I asked a few guys at the mill to notify me when a hardwood tree falls over in a storm. Grey oak, live oak, red oak, walnut, madrone, some myrtle, cherry. And of course Redwood. Plenty of wood for me to practice on.

Gary

Noel Hegan
11-04-2005, 7:59 PM
Gary, couple of other books that may be of interest is the Table Saw Bench Guide by Roger W Cliffe. IBSN 0-8069-9135-6. Good book with plenty of ideas. Cliffe has another, larger book, Table Saw Techniques (Revised Edition) ISBN 0-8069-4268-1. 352 pages of extensive TS information, well worth getting.

Rgds

Noel

Jim Becker
11-04-2005, 9:55 PM
I made some of Toplin's fence system and have been pleased with the functionality they provide.

Gary Curtis
11-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I made some of Toplin's fence system and have been pleased with the functionality they provide.

Most aren't explained, let alone shown in detail. I can get my arms around the rip sled proper. But I'm looking for a resource book that shows dozens of these kinds of fixtures.

GC:rolleyes:

Allen Bookout
11-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Gary,

I have found some very good plans for jigs from plansnow. Some are free but most good ones you can pay on line and download or have them sent to you. The prices are very reasonable. The website is: www.plansnow.com (http://www.plansnow.com)

Allen

Vaughn McMillan
11-05-2005, 1:41 AM
Most aren't explained, let alone shown in detail. I can get my arms around the rip sled proper. But I'm looking for a resource book that shows dozens of these kinds of fixtures.

GC:rolleyes:
Gary, I built my own version of the Tolpin auxiliary fence and vertical sled. Pics and discussion are at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23905&highlight=sledding. I didn't have plans, but just kind of made one piece fit into the next as I went along. I'd be glad to answer questions or take additional pics if it'd help. Drop me a PM if you'd like.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-05-2005, 3:13 AM
Here is a link to a very interesting book on jigs and fixtures of all kinds. It is different than most, in that it's chapters are arranged by the task rather than a specific tool, with the exception of the router, which has it's own chapter. It's the book at the top of the page by Sandor N. I have had it but a short time, and haven't had occasion to build anything from it yet, but the designs look well thought out and there are plenty of them. I got after seeing a very strong recommendation in a thread here on jigs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-2346258-4899325

Dan

Allen Bookout
11-05-2005, 9:27 AM
Dan, Would you please list the name of the book. I know that the link is OK but when I try to go there I get the infamous browser bug message. I have had that before and could be because I use a Linux system with Mozilla and some sites do not like it. Thanks! allen

Gregg Mason
11-05-2005, 9:57 AM
Dan, Would you please list the name of the book. I know that the link is OK but when I try to go there I get the infamous browser bug message. I have had that before and could be because I use a Linux system with Mozilla and some sites do not like it. Thanks! allen

I'm getting the browser bug too.

BTW: I'm also intrested in a good TS jig book.

Gary Curtis
11-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Gary, I built my own version of the Tolpin auxiliary fence and vertical sled. Pics and discussion are at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23905&highlight=sledding. I didn't have plans, but just kind of made one piece fit into the next as I went along. I'd be glad to answer questions or take additional pics if it'd help. Drop me a PM if you'd like.

- Vaughn
Great thread on the Vertical Sled. I'll be in Santa Monica for 5 weeks more until my new home and shop are built. Could I drop by and see these aux fences?
I believe you answered my post on WoodNet - the gloat on a General 350 saw w/ slider.

Gary Curtis
extiger@comcast.net
310 351-6300

Michael Adelong
11-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I also build Tolpin's auxillary rip fence and sliding vertical sled. I used it to build my first ever raised panel doors and drawer fronts. Worked like a dream. I like Vaughn's UHMW t-track insert. I thought that I was going to need something like that to hold mine flat to the fence based on what I saw when I first put the pieces together. After I shellaced (sp?) them and applied paste wax, the parts slide against each other really well and the weight of the sled just pulls it right into vertical alignment every time. I just put a (very) little pressure on the top of the sled towards the left as I slide it to ensure that the bottom stays against the fence - probably not necessary. The one thing we all agree on is that Topin could have given a height suggestion for the botton t-track. I would have liked both of my tracks to be about 1/2" to 3/4" higher.

Overall, I think it was worth the time, effort, and materials that it took to build it. I'm looking forward to trying some of his other attachments now.

Michael

Dan Forman
11-05-2005, 3:41 PM
The book is called Woodshop Jigs and Fixtures, by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. Now you know why I used his last initial.

Hey, I just got the browser bug too!

Dan

Tyler Howell
11-05-2005, 5:42 PM
Don't know if anybody mentioned Tablesaw Methods of Work By Jim Richie
Another Taunton publication

Allen Bookout
11-05-2005, 8:11 PM
Thanks for looking that up Dan!!! I would have used the last initial also. Allen

Vaughn McMillan
11-06-2005, 4:12 AM
Great thread on the Vertical Sled. I'll be in Santa Monica for 5 weeks more until my new home and shop are built. Could I drop by and see these aux fences?
I believe you answered my post on WoodNet - the gloat on a General 350 saw w/ slider.

Gary Curtis
extiger@comcast.net
310 351-6300
Gary, you're welcome to come see the sled in person if we can work out a time. My shop's real meager (more of a 5-pound garage holding 10 pounds of junk, with a few WW tools), but if it'll help, I'm game. I'm probably about an hour north of you, so it'd make the most sense if you were already planning to be up in this neck of SoCal (Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena). Drop me a PM or e-mail to let me know when you are going to be in the area, and I'll see how my schedule is looking. (I work some odd hours, but quite a few of them are at the house instead of the office.)

T'wasn't me on WoodNet...I've lurked there a bit but I don't think I've posted. (SMC is addictive enough...all I need is another forum to get hooked on. ;) )

- Vaughn

Steve Rowe
11-06-2005, 8:53 AM
Gary,
I would suggest "Classic Joints with Power Tools" by Yeung Chan. It covers more than just table saw jigs but does have excellent pictures and figures. In addition to the various jigs, it describes how to use them.
Steve