PDA

View Full Version : Handsome is short-lived; Handy lives long.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-18-2017, 6:19 AM
I always say that handsome is short-lived, but handy lasts a lifetime. Here is a story of how being handy saves lives. As they restore power around the island (except, of course, my house- 73 days no power as of today), I noticed that at an abandoned house the weatherhead was down and resting on a metal fence. It is down my hill (yup, they have power- I don't) and we pass it daily as I walk my daughter to school. I noticed that the weatherhead was hooked to the pole, so to be safe I went home and got my clamp meter. Sure enough, not only is it hot, but so is the metal fence.

Here is where the story takes a turn. The neighbor called the WAPA emergency number and reported it, AND she went to WAPA in person and reported it. Days later- it is still hot. We reported it in person again. A week after the initial report- still hot. I finally went on a public Facebook page where all the island goes for information and posted it, tagged WAPA and VITEMA. I also called 911 and reported it. I went to WAPA again and reported it, as did the church across the street. Two days later- still hot. I made a sign to warn people.

Finally, I flagged down a WAPA employee in the neighborhood and told them. They finally disconnected it, but get this- they just left the hot line hanging (thankfully on the other side of the fence) and wrapped the end with ONE wrap of electrical tape!!! I am speechless.

So, once again, being handy and having the right tools pays off. So many kids play in that area- it is literally next door to the church Sunday school building. It's amazing nobody got hurt or killed. I just cannot believe what it took to get something done.

Greg Parrish
11-18-2017, 6:45 AM
Wow. I can't imagine what you are all going through. Wishing you a safe recovery with all the speed possible.

Mike Cutler
11-18-2017, 8:21 AM
I remember hearing my sister in law give the same advice to her daughter, my niece. " Make sure you get a guy that's handy, like you're father and uncle Mike."

I was without power for four days in October. I just can't imagine 73 days!!

Malcolm McLeod
11-18-2017, 8:43 AM
Malcolm,
That 'handy' tag is quite ....handy!

If you google 'fuse to a pole mounted transformer', you'll see how WAPA can disconnect power on the high-voltage side of the transformer feeding the problem weather head. If you can flag down WAPA again and walk them to the fuse, they should power the line down. I'm sure 'swamped' is their rationale, but its not acceptable. It takes perhaps 2-3 minutes, if you include the time to get the equipment off the truck. If the transformer feeds multiple locations, they should leave the fuse and cut the low voltage side for the specific service that's exposed - at the pole!

Please don't try to disconnect it yourself! It requires specialized equipment and it is the high voltage side. The arc will jump 6"-8" in dry air, and if the fuse blows will sound like a shotgun shell.

There are DIY solutions, not as dangerous as the electrified fence, but dangerous - - and this is not the place to discuss them.

Best wishes, stay safe, and Godspeed in your recovery.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-18-2017, 8:50 AM
Malcolm,
That 'handy' tag is quite ....handy!

If you google 'fuse to a pole mounted transformer', you'll see how WAPA can disconnect power on the high-voltage side of the transformer feeding the problem weather head. If you can flag down WAPA again and walk them to the fuse, they should power the line down. I'm sure 'swamped' is their rationale, but its not acceptable. If the transformer feeds multiple locations, they should leave the fuse and cut the low voltage side for the specific service that's exposed - at the pole!

Please don't try to disconnect it yourself! It requires specialized equipment and it is the high voltage side. The arc will jump 6"-8" in dry air, and if the fuse blows will sound like a shotgun shell.

There are DIY solutions, not as dangerous as the electrified fence, but dangerous - - and this is not the place to discuss them.

Best wishes, stay safe, and Godspeed in your recovery.

I am familiar with the fuse, but things here are not always done the way they should be.

I remember hearing my sister in law give the same advice to her daughter, my niece. " Make sure you get a guy that's handy, like you're father and uncle Mike."

I was without power for four days in October. I just can't imagine 73 days!!

My daughter will be advised to hang out at Home Depot around the power tools and ask guys to help her pick out a drill. If they recommend Ryobi- they're no good. If they head to Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Bosch, and start explaining the differences in hammer drills, SDS vs SDS plus or SDS max- this is the man you want to pursue.

John K Jordan
11-18-2017, 10:07 AM
My daughter will be advised to hang out at Home Depot around the power tools and ask guys to help her pick out a drill. If they recommend Ryobi- they're no good. If they head to Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Bosch, and start explaining the differences in hammer drills, SDS vs SDS plus or SDS max- this is the man you want to pursue.

I like that - meeting the right person in the tool isle!

Thank you for your continued reports. We have no concept if the problems and the newspaper I read has had nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Occasionally something political about Puerto Rico. I wish I could send 50 amps of 240v by email.

JKJ

Malcolm Schweizer
11-18-2017, 4:01 PM
I like that - meeting the right person in the tool isle!

Thank you for your continued reports. We have no concept if the problems and the newspaper I read has had nothing, zero, zilch, nada. Occasionally something political about Puerto Rico. I wish I could send 50 amps of 240v by email.

JKJ

Your thoughts mean just as much. The street light next door came on last night!!! My power, unfortunately, comes off a different feed, and it has a lot of damage. On the plus side- we have discovered Backpacker's Pantry dehydrated foods. They are quite delicious and require only to boil water.

Jim Becker
11-18-2017, 8:08 PM
Wow...holy safety issue, Batman!

BTW, I was really struck by the devastation shown when Robin Roberts of GMA visited your island recently to document the continuing post-storm struggle. Totally amazing to see what you are still dealing with!

Malcolm Schweizer
11-18-2017, 8:34 PM
Wow...holy safety issue, Batman!

BTW, I was really struck by the devastation shown when Robin Roberts of GMA visited your island recently to document the continuing post-storm struggle. Totally amazing to see what you are still dealing with!

They interviewed my pastor- Jeff Neevel. That is 2 blocks from my house. I helped get the distribution going. The one cooking the food is MBW- "My Brother's Workshop" where I volunteer teaching woodworking. They have a cafe and bakery that teaches culinary skills to at-risk youth. It served as a food station when the Salvation Army kitchen lost its roof. People really came together. The whole experience has actually been good for me- crazy as it sounds. I have seen a lot and learned a lot of life lessons.