PDA

View Full Version : Nice load of Cherry

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 1:10 PM
Thought some may be interested. We have a large job in Cherry starting shortly and first load landed from the mill today. Was a very nice load. Lot of really figured material and a ton of super wide stock. Im sure we will be culling a lot of the juicy stuff to keep here in the shop.

Robyn Horton
11-17-2017, 1:48 PM
I'll be the first ... That's really nice Cherry !

Brad Shipton
11-17-2017, 1:49 PM
That is some awesome looking material. If you don't mind what do you pay for bdft there?

Matt Day
11-17-2017, 2:43 PM
Nice looking stuff! I’m impressed how well stacked and square it is.

Mike Wilkins
11-17-2017, 3:06 PM
Nice stack of lumber. Since it is likely poisonous, I feel you should provide me with your address so I can remove it from your vicinity and place it in my storage room for proper disposal.

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 4:27 PM
Nice looking stuff! I’m impressed how well stacked and square it is.

Matt, not sure of the name but they feed material into a framed bander type deal that keeps the stack super clean. We dont usually bring material in on a small trailer like this where the clean packs really show. We moved this material into a bay of the shop by hand so we saw every board as we were stacking. Peeling off 13", 14" and 17" boards was fun.

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 4:28 PM
Nice stack of lumber. Since it is likely poisonous, I feel you should provide me with your address so I can remove it from your vicinity and place it in my storage room for proper disposal.

We didnt think of the Hazmat aspect, may have to call you in for disposal.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-17-2017, 4:43 PM
Am I jealous? NOT AT ALL.:rolleyes:

I really am jealous!

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 4:58 PM
Me too Ken, I wish a load of material like this was going into my own home lol. You know the old saying, a mechanic drives a klunker lol.

Am I jealous? NOT ATT ALL.:rolleyes:

I really am jealous!

Jim Becker
11-17-2017, 5:19 PM
Yum!!!! Cherry be my favorite! And I'm really liking the "juicy" and/or "wide", too.

Ron Kellison
11-17-2017, 5:23 PM
What part of WV are you from? I still have family down in Greenbriar County.

Mel Fulks
11-17-2017, 5:30 PM
That is nice looking! And SEEMS to be pretty flat and straight. Hoping those bands are not overly stressed and the pile doesn't "explode" when removed !

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 5:37 PM
What part of WV are you from? I still have family down in Greenbriar County.
We are right in the belly of the state. I call it "the black hole"

Mark Bolton
11-17-2017, 5:43 PM
That is nice looking! And SEEMS to be pretty flat and straight. Hoping those bands are not overly stressed and the pile doesn't "explode" when removed !

I cut the bands personally. Not an ounce of explosion. We have a couple of phenomenal suppliers. You dont put the effort into stacking and shipping a pack that looks like that just to have it explode into banana boards when the bands are cut lol.

We had to hand stack the pack in our end bay (we dont run tons of 16' material). I wish we kept the pack as pretty as it was on the trailer but....

peter gagliardi
11-17-2017, 8:15 PM
For cherry that nice, it would be worth driving down from MA with my 30' gooseneck for a few packs!!
The only time I see stuff that nice is if we have time to saw it ourselves, or buy from a boutique supplier and bleed out our eyes at the price.
Dang! That is nice stuff!

David Utterback
11-18-2017, 6:56 AM
Cherry is my favorite also although I always start with the rough stuff. Working with S4S must save a ton of time. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Mark Bolton
11-18-2017, 7:10 AM
For cherry that nice, it would be worth driving down from MA with my 30' gooseneck for a few packs!!
The only time I see stuff that nice is if we have time to saw it ourselves, or buy from a boutique supplier and bleed out our eyes at the price.
Dang! That is nice stuff!

Thanks Peter. We were pleasantly surprised when it rolled in front of the shop.

Mark Bolton
11-18-2017, 7:23 AM
Cherry is my favorite also although I always start with the rough stuff. Working with S4S must save a ton of time. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

We work with a lot of rough too and your exactly right. Way too much work. We try to bring all our material in s3s and overthickness. Sometimes 13/16, sometimes just skip planed and we can often get 5/4 out of the skip material. Surfacing quantities of material without a SLR, monster planer (preferrably two side), and an ability to deal with trailer loads of chips is just way too much work for us. To pay a few cents a foot and not have to deal with all of that is a no brainer for us.

We just ran a bunch of rough popular and hard maple and it was miserable. Every time I say never again but sometimes there is no other option.