PDA

View Full Version : A hacksaw?

steven c newman
11-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Had one of these sitting around. gave the frame a decent clean up. Tried a wider blade,,
As this 12" blade was a bit too short to make a frame saw with.....
11 ppi, crosscut.....needs sharpened, anyway. Dug around, and found another blade..
I have no idea who made the frame...both ends are adjustable...the blade?
At least it can cut some brass or copper items....
Have another such hacksaw....but it is a single adjuster frame. I'll have to dig it out, sometime, and find out the maker on that one.

First one I have seen with length adjusters on both ends....:confused:

Bill Houghton
11-17-2017, 1:29 PM
Cecil Pierce, who made woodie planes for more than 50 years, during a period when that was an odd thing to do right up through the period when woodies got "rediscovered," advocated a 14 tpi hacksaw for cutting dovetails.

I've used one, more than once, with a regular hacksaw blade, for fine cuts in hardwoods. A good hacksaw frame permits very fine grade cutting.

steven c newman
11-17-2017, 8:35 PM
Wondering about building a frame to hold that 12" long, 11 ppi saw blade.....but, on a smaller scale than the 18" frame saw I just made.

Apparently, I seemed to have given away the other two broom-handled hacksaws......sometime ago...can't find them, right now.

Smaller frame, may get the twine/paddle tensioner.....whether to make it a turning style?

Rick Whitehead
11-18-2017, 4:21 PM
I really like those straight-handled hacksaws. I feel I have more control on cuts that need to be more precise, such as slots.
At last count, I had seven of them!
Rick