PDA

View Full Version : Simple kiln heater

Tom Porter
11-15-2017, 7:29 PM
I have found insect damage in some air-dried black walnut I have. To sterilize the wood, I've built the simple foam insulation kiln frequently mentioned here. (Thanks to Scott Smith for the plans). However, the little ceramic heater I have is not getting it hot enough. It seems to plateau at about 133F. I'm assuming the heater just doesn't have enough power. Can any one suggest a model that would put out enough heat to get the chamber to about 150F?

By the way, the wood in question is destined for cutting boards, serving trays and similar items so I'd like to avoid chemical eradication of the bugs, hence the kiln.

John K Jordan
11-15-2017, 8:22 PM
I have found insect damage in some air-dried black walnut I have. To sterilize the wood, I've built the simple foam insulation kiln frequently mentioned here. (Thanks to Scott Smith for the plans). However, the little ceramic heater I have is not getting it hot enough. It seems to plateau at about 133F. I'm assuming the heater just doesn't have enough power. Can any one suggest a model that would put out enough heat to get the chamber to about 150F?

By the way, the wood in question is destined for cutting boards, serving trays and similar items so I'd like to avoid chemical eradication of the bugs, hence the kiln.

Fat grubs in sapwood or tiny powder post beetle holes in the heart wood? For the sap wood you can split or cut off the sap wood. For the PPBs, could two or three of the ceramic heaters do the trick?

JKJ