PDA

View Full Version : Wow - 11 years

Rich Engelhardt
11-15-2017, 4:45 PM
I just noticed...

I've been here 11 years!

Impressive! They could only put up with me for 4 years of high school!!!
:D :D :D

Wayne Lomman
11-15-2017, 8:28 PM
Carve cerevisiam! Cheers

Jim Becker
11-15-2017, 8:33 PM
Congrats!

It's actually pretty kewel how many folks have been community members for many, many years....some back to the very beginning.

Bruce Page
11-15-2017, 8:45 PM
Congratulations! That's longer than most marriages!

Patrick McCarthy
11-16-2017, 8:16 AM
Rich, ya made me look. Coming up on 10 years later this month - heck, we were all young men “way back then”. . . . .

George Bokros
11-16-2017, 8:45 AM
I will nine years in January.

Keith Outten
11-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Congratulation Gentlemen on your long membership here at The Creek. We will have our 15th anniversary this coming February...blink your eyes a few times and our 20th will be in view :)

I hope to have another major FreeStuff Drawing to celebrate our 15th AND unveil our new SawMill Creek Hall of Fame as well. We will have new software soon, that should make things interesting around here for awhile. I don't want you guys and gals to get bored :)

John Stankus
11-16-2017, 10:48 AM
As of tomorrow I will have been a member here for 14 3/4 years (provided I counted the leap years correctly :) ) But then again I think I joined on Day 5 :)

John

Tom Stenzel
11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
I just noticed...

I've been here 11 years!

Impressive! They could only put up with me for 4 years of high school!!!
:D :D :D

I know the feeling. Ninth grade was the worst 4 years of my life too!

7 years here for me. One of these days I'll make something worthwhile out of wood.

-Tom

Rick Potter
11-16-2017, 2:02 PM
Badger Pond graduate here.

Ole Anderson
11-16-2017, 2:59 PM
Wow, 12 1/2 years here, joined May 2005.

Dennis Peacock
11-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Badger Pond graduate here.

Same here.....Wayne Miller & Badger Pond....turned into Keith Outten and SawMill Creek for me. :D

Keith Outten
11-17-2017, 6:01 PM
I was also a Member of Badger Pond. When Wayne decided to pull the plug and a large group were looking for another forum I offered to install the software on one of my servers, at the time I was running an Internet Service Provider business called Hampton Roads Online.

The rest is history :)

Keith Outten
11-17-2017, 6:11 PM
For the record we opened the doors here on 02-11-2003.

John Stankus you are Member number 270, you registered on 2-16-03.

Mike Cutler
11-17-2017, 6:34 PM
I just want to know who 007 is?:cool:

I also came over from Badger Pond. I think I'm #147.

Bruce Page
11-17-2017, 7:36 PM
I just want to know who 007 is?:cool:
That would be Pete Lamberty. I was the 26th to walk from Badger Pond to Keith’s open door.

bill kaminski
11-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Rich, ya made me look. Coming up on 10 years later this month - heck, we were all young men “way back then”. . . . .

even 'way back' I was not young :eek:

Ronald Blue
11-19-2017, 2:00 PM
I'm not much more than a toddler compared to you old heads. Congrats on your long tenure. I get a lot from all the knowledge here. Once in a while I even have a good idea to contribute. Keep things going Keith! Your doing a great job.

Dave Zellers
11-19-2017, 9:46 PM
I'm not much more than a toddler compared to you old heads. Congrats on your long tenure. I get a lot from all the knowledge here. Once in a while I even have a good idea to contribute. Keep things going Keith! Your doing a great job.

+1 from another toddler.

Frederick Skelly
11-20-2017, 6:56 AM
Congratulations Rich and all of you long-time members!
I too enjoyed Badger Pond. It was a great place.
I stumbled onto SMC years later after a google search and put down roots!

Fred

Roger Davis
11-25-2017, 8:37 PM
Keith,

What is the new software you eluded to?

Roger

Keith Outten
11-26-2017, 8:19 AM
Roger,

We have purchased Xenforo and have a test site installed so we can get acquainted with how everything works.

Roger Davis
11-27-2017, 1:57 PM
Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger

Jim Becker
11-27-2017, 2:50 PM
Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger

The vBulletin version SMC has is "broken", and the "upgrade" isn't much better and also cannot do many things natively like Xenforo can. Xenforo was written by a bunch of folks who left the vBulletin team a few years ago when they got tired of all the problems. It's more stable, more extensible and pretty much works the same way from the end-user standpoint. No worries. I've already been through this conversion at another site I help moderate (different topic) and it went smoothly. And folks had pretty much instant, native support for the kinds of devices that they use today to interact, unlike with vBulletin.

Keith Outten
11-27-2017, 7:58 PM
Jim's right, we are running vBulletin version 4 which they have stopped offering support and security upgrades. We purchased version 5 and installed it as a test site and it had so many problems/bugs we wouldn't dare use it for The Creek. The current version 4.2.5 we are now running required our server adminstrator to correct a multitude of problems when he installed the upgrade.

Xenforo provides native support for mobile users which is a major improvement and since over 40% of our Members are connecting using mobile devices its important that we improve access for mobile users. There is a pretty long list of other improvements but the bottom line is that we can't move forward at this point with vBulletin.