PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Block Plane

Don Dean
11-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Looking at buying my first block plane. Looking for a low level block plane in the mid price range. Any suggestions?

Roy Wall
11-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Don,

check out the Neander section.............

there is a current thread on this very subject....

I have the LN 60.5 LA blk and like it very much...good heft. Lee Valley makes good planes too - but I do not have one.

Can you make it to a WWing show in your area.???? A good place to try some out....

Mike Weaver
11-04-2005, 6:23 AM
Just so happens there is a Stanley #65 in the classified section right now.

IMHO, the #65 is a joy to use.

Cheers,
-Mike

Matt Meiser
11-04-2005, 7:32 AM
I have the LN rabbet block and love it. I would think their adjustable mouth plane would work even better if you don't need the rabbet feature. I also have a Record low angle block which works pretty good after flattening the sole, but is no longer available new. I also think the one in the classifieds looks good.

JayStPeter
11-04-2005, 8:46 AM
I suggest one of the Lee valley offerings. They are easier to adjust and learn to use than the others.

Jay

Michael Ballent
11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I have a Veritas (Lee Valley) Low Angle block plane and I really like it... Once you start spending bigger dollars you are pretty certain to pick winners :D

Byron Trantham
11-04-2005, 1:56 PM
I have the Stanley and love it. I don't have any experience with the higher end units so I don't know what I am missing. I do know this though, the Stanley works very well. I took the time to lap the sole and sharpen the blade and I can create very nice shavings.:D I have three planes now and I am getting better using them so if the time comes to replace them, I will probably bite the bullet and by LN replacements.

Don Dean
11-05-2005, 9:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Based on your input I will be looking at LN, Stanley, and Veritas. Leaning toward LN.

Byron, do you mean by lap the sole?

Byron Trantham
11-05-2005, 9:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Based on your input I will be looking at LN, Stanley, and Veritas. Leaning toward LN.

Byron, do you mean by lap the sole?

Lapping the sole involves "sanding" the sole with wet/dry sandpaper on a very flat surface, float glass for example, until the puppy is mirror smooth and flat. It's tedious but worth it since you do it only once. It took me all day to do three planes. I started with 150 grit and worked up to 600 grit. High end planes like the LN line come lapped. Believe it or not the lower end planes are not flat and that's the problem. When I first started the process, it was obvious there was a valley down the middle of the sole on all three of them. By the time I finished, the valley was gone and mirror smooth.

Dan Forman
11-05-2005, 3:48 PM
I don't think a mirror finish is necessary, 220 will do just fine, and save a lot of time.

Dan

Doug Shepard
11-05-2005, 4:16 PM
Since you did say mid price range I'd have to recommend the LV block planes. I've got the LN low and std angle adjustable mouth planes and would recommend them to anyone, but think you could do just as well for less money with the LV's. I'm assuming the quality of their block planes is every bit as good as the LV Jointer, scrub, and scraper that I have. I've also got a Stanley LA adjustable mouth block and think it's worth a little extra money to get something better. It cuts just fine but there's quite a bit of backlash in the adjustment mechanisms that can be pretty annoying.