PDA

View Full Version : CMS 5 axis router

Wayne Lomman
11-14-2017, 2:50 AM
Anyone willing to offer opinion on their experience using a CMS brand 5 axis cnc router? I don't know the model as yet. I have the opportunity to buy one for a very good price to use for foundry patternmaking. Cheers

Wayne Lomman
11-15-2017, 6:04 AM
Hmm....just as well I'm heading to Melbourne on Friday to have a look. All I can find out in advance is that it is made in France, it weighs about 7000kg and it's machining envelope is about 4.2m x 1.5m x 2.0m. Cheers

Brad Shipton
11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
If this, https://www.cmsna.com/fxb-aluminum-composite-p-3065.html is along the lines of what you are looking at I think you need the woodweb. I do not recall anyone here having a 5axis cnc. There are many owners of 5 axis machines on the woodweb or other industrial sites.

Mick Simon
11-15-2017, 11:08 AM
CMS makes exceptional equipment and are well known for their expertise in 5 axis machines and applications. They are an Italian company, high end.

Wayne Lomman
11-15-2017, 11:53 PM
I talked to the owners today. They have 2 of them for sale. They were previously used for alloy wheel pattern making. I will have some pics after tomorrow and will know a bit more. Thanks for the correction about country of origin. Cheers

Wayne Lomman
12-06-2017, 7:53 PM
Just a quick update. I had a look at both routers but won't be going ahead with the purchase. They have been moved interstate three times since they were decommissioned and a few critical parts are lost/missing. The smaller one had about 5 degrees of backlash in the B axis. The larger one was more complete and in good order but they had reconsidered their price and it was not worth the risk. It's machining envelope was actually 6 metres x 1.3metres x 1 metre. No meaningful pictures as they were covered in that much junk I had trouble inspecting them. Ah, well, if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is... Cheers