PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Oil Lamp

Mike Ramsey
11-03-2005, 11:31 PM
After reading Dick Parr's post on these Confetti lamps I went to Wally
World and picked up 10 for 0.97 ea. I turned this tonight and think it
turned out nicely. It was really easy. Sanded to 500 then EEE Paste and
buffed a little with Carnuba. My pics are still not very good.

Jim Ketron
11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Nice Job Mike!
Looks great!

Mark Cothren
11-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Love it! Nice hunk of wood you got there! I'll have to go shoppin' at Wally World...:D

Thanks for the pictures!

Dick Parr
11-04-2005, 1:19 AM
The pictures look fine to me Mike, very nice job and some beautiful wood. What kind is it? and is the size.

Great job.

Glenn Hodges
11-04-2005, 4:46 AM
Nice job on that mesquite. I do like that stuff.

John Hart
11-04-2005, 6:43 AM
I think your pics are just fine too Mike. Pretty little piece. I still can't find lamps....grrrr

Sparky Paessler
11-04-2005, 7:19 AM
That looks good Mike! I love the colors of the Mesquite. Good job on the turning and great price on the lamps.

Chris Barton
11-04-2005, 7:25 AM
Great form, color and execution!

John Miliunas
11-04-2005, 7:43 AM
Very nice job, Mike. I need to try a few of those.:) Which brings me to my next little tidbit: Although the plastic lamps aren't refillable, they are more readily available (and cheaper) than their glass counterparts. If anyone doesn't have a Wally World nearby, you may want to try....You ready for this???.....Walgreens!!! Yes, Walgreens. I ran around town to several different artsy/craftsy stores looking for them, but after Dick gave me the brand name, I started searching and found Walgreens carries them. Sure enough, I stopped into the one just a couple minutes away from my J.O.B. and they had plenty at $0.99/ea.:) :cool:

Keith Burns
11-04-2005, 7:55 AM
Very nice. Great detail that set it off.

Kurt Aebi
11-04-2005, 8:25 AM
Mike,

Nice Job! I like Mesquite, smells real nice when working it.

I like the form and details you've done on this one.

I gotta try one of these, they look like fun.

Mike Ramsey
11-04-2005, 8:43 AM
Thanks everyone, these are fun to make.
[quote=Dick Parr] What kind is it? and is the size?
Dick, this is Mesquite, measures 6"W x 2"T

Carole Valentine
11-04-2005, 8:59 AM
Although the plastic lamps aren't refillable, they are more readily available (and cheaper) than their glass counterparts.

Plastic? For an oil lamp? No fire hazard? Not refillable? Hmmm. I think that would be a deterrent to sales. At least it would for me if I knew I couldn't refill it. Why use plastic on a terrific piece of wood?

Carole Valentine
11-04-2005, 9:03 AM
I like the detail and the form on that Mike. One of these days I am going to get my hands on some Mesquite! Maybe a bunch of us Virginians can send Jim to deforest a couple of the Western States and bring some back!:D

John Miliunas
11-04-2005, 9:19 AM
Plastic? For an oil lamp? No fire hazard? Not refillable? Hmmm. I think that would be a deterrent to sales. At least it would for me if I knew I couldn't refill it. Why use plastic on a terrific piece of wood?

Carole, fire hazard? No. There is a metal cap through which the wick goes through. Flame is not near the plastic. :) Deterrant to sales? IMHO, yes! :( OTOH, I wanted to have something in-hand to try this out with and it was handy. I still may give the one I made as a gift, along with several spares and directions for where more refills are available. :) With that thought in mind, I will be ordering some of the more "traditional" ones through the regular supply houses.:) :cool:

Mike Ramsey
11-04-2005, 9:32 AM

Carole, I aked the WM sales guy about that very issue, He told me
that they sell a ton of these, especially at Halloween. They use them
to light pumpkins and put them in the plastic bags that you sometimes
see lining the side walks and he has never had a complaint about fires.
As for selling....6 people here in my office looked at this and instantly
offered to buy it..For me I think at the price of 0.97 not being refillable
isn't a big issue.

Kurt Aebi
11-04-2005, 9:35 AM
Refilling or replacing isn't that big a deal, especially if they are available at Wal-Mart, those seem to be everyplace and unlike Micheals, they ALL seem to carry these.

I know I'm going to pick up a few while I wait for my Packard order to arrive.

Carole Valentine
11-04-2005, 10:10 AM
especially if they are available at Wal-Mart, those seem to be everyplace
Ha! Everyplace but the Eastern Shore of VA! We don't even rate a K-Mart, much less a Walmart. We used to have a Kmart about 20 miles away, but they closed. Guess I better stick to the refillable lamps.:(

John Miliunas
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Ha! Everyplace but the Eastern Shore of VA! We don't even rate a K-Mart, much less a Walmart. We used to have a Kmart about 20 miles away, but they closed. Guess I better stick to the refillable lamps.:(

No "Walgreens", either??? Wow, you guys are deprived!!!:p :D :cool:

Kurt Aebi
11-04-2005, 11:06 AM
John,

Is Carole really deprived or Lucky! :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

Oh to go back to the day that malls were all 80 to 100 miles away! It sure was nice being that remote, you could take a break & smell the roses, lillies or whatever flower you like to smell!

I love it when I visit my dad's place in Aleppo, PA in the southwesternmost section of PA - you are 45 minutes from the nearest grocery store - just about as remote as it can be in today's modern world! (Still can get sattelite TV and DSL computer - and that's as close as he likes it to the "Modern" world!). If you want some turnin' wood - just wander over yonder and cut some - that section of PA has one of the best varieties of hardwoods you could imagine! :D

I'd like to be remote - as long as Brown, Fed Ex & USPS could find my place, that's all that matters!!!!!

Bill Stevener
11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi Mike,
I really like the form and size.
Nice work, Bill.>>>>>>>>:)