PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander / Thickness Planer

Don Dean
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I am new to woodworking and don't understand when you would use a drum sander and when you us a thickness planer. What should I get first?

Dennis McDonaugh
11-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Don, a thickness planer (along with a jointer) allows you to dimension rough stock. The jointer makes a flat reference surface and the planer makes the opposite surface parallel to the reference surface. You also use the jointer to make an edge perpendicular to the flat surfaces so the stock is flat and square. A drum sander can thickness stock, but its a slow tedious process because a sander can take off a fraction of the material a planer can. Its also a fussy machine which requires constant adjustment (at least the consumer models such as the Performax 16/32 seem to). Where the drum sander excels is in sanding finished parts such as doors. The planer and jointer also leave a multitude of shallow scallops in the stock. These have to be removed either by sanding, scraping or hand planing. The drum sander works wonders here too. I finally bought a drum sander after twenty years of woodworking and its invaluable for a few tasks, but I also go months without using it. I use the jointer and planer on every project.

Mark Singer
11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
many woods will tear out when planned...a drum sander is great for such woods. It will also flush assembled parts such as a frame ...It dosen't care that the grain is opposing the direction. It saves a lot of time. All flat pieces, such as strechers, aprons, slats, can be dimensioned and sanded on the drum sander. Planners are great for handeling rough stock...dimensioning for thickness. A very important tool. I use them both on almost every project. Drum sanders are terrific for edge banding , moldings and making veneer.

Mike Cutler
11-04-2005, 8:50 PM
Don. It all really depends on the raw material that you begin your projects with.
If you are going to be purchasing dimensioned lumber, a drum sander may be better off to start with. If you believe that you will be purchasing your material in the rough, then it makes more sense to start off with a planer.
In the end you will probably end up with both. The planer and jointer are the beginnings of almost all projects in material preperation. The drum sander is usually utilized near the end of the project.
Good luck with your decision(s)

Michael Pfau
11-04-2005, 9:02 PM
Don if you are just starting, the other opinions are right on...I would get a planer along with a jointer, they marry up, you really can't get good flat stock without the two. As you advance you might like a drum sander, I have been in woodworking now for about 4 years, and do all I want without a drum sander, although there has been some cases that one would be handy! Sooner or later I will get one. I hope this helps you.

Don Dean
11-05-2005, 9:38 AM
Thanks everyone for you input, it really helped. Next on my list of gotta have will be a jointer and planer. A drum sander will be in the future as I still need a bandsaw and drill press for my shop which should be together by mid December as soon as I move LOML stuff out of the gurage into her new building.

Chris Cordina
11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I agree you need a jointer but between planer and sander I would not give up my sander. Sanders do everything a planer does but with more finesse. Every piece of wood in my shop goes thru the sander very rare i use my planer since i got my sander 10 years ago. I still use the planer when I need to reduce wood in a hurry but that wood then goes thru the sander for final thickness. I can put whole frames thru , they come out perfectly flat, something a planer cannot do. My sander is 22" wide and supported on both sides, not many planers are that wide. when 60 grit sandpaper is used sanders can remove wood fairly fast. Draw back is sanders are more expensive, take up more floor space, not great for pine do to sap(clogs up paper).

Chris Cordina
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree you need a jointer but between planer and sander I would not give up my sander. Sanders do everything a planer does but with more finesse. Every piece of wood in my shop goes thru the sander very rare i use my planer since i got my sander 10 years ago. I still use the planer when I need to reduce wood in a hurry but that wood then goes thru the sander for final thickness. I can put whole frames thru , they come out perfectly flat, something a planer cannot do. My sander is 22" wide and supported on both sides, not many planers are that wide. when 60 grit sandpaper is used sanders can remove wood fairly fast. Draw back is sanders are more expensive, take up more floor space, not great for pine do to sap(clogs up paper).