PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 65 or 66???

Dick Brown
11-11-2017, 1:22 PM
Just got a Powermatic cabinet table saw "true basket case" as it is all apart. Looked on the net at 65 and 66 manuals and am more confused as to identity. Has what look like 65 trunions but they fasten to cabinet near the front and back and to the sides of cabinet rather than to the front and rear panels as the manuals for the 66 show. Manuals for 65 show front trunion close to front of cabinet and rear trunion near center of cabinet.
Did they make a 1/2 and 1/2 in the change from 65 to 66? Any ideas??
Thanks for any info you may have.
Dick

Matt Day
11-11-2017, 1:39 PM
Trunnions are to one side on the 65. 66 has them on each side equally like a Uni.

A pic of yours would help.

Dick Brown
11-11-2017, 2:06 PM
Matt,
The 66 manuals I looked at on the net show the trunions fastening to the front and back rather than to the sides as do the 65 trunions. Yes, the 65 manuals show them close together but these are clear to the front and back and the whole arbor/motor mount, tilt unit go from front to back of saw rather than half way more or less as the 65 manuals show. As far as pictures, I would love to but it is now in the back of my storage shed behind 3 other saws that are waiting for a refurb.

Matt Day
11-11-2017, 2:26 PM
The 66 has the yellow trunnions in the attached pics. Photos courtesy of OWWM, where you can find lots more information.

Bill Dufour
11-11-2017, 7:36 PM
They made a lot less 65 model saws so statistically it is much more likely to be a 66.
Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?79130-Differences-between-PM-65-and-66

Matt Day
11-11-2017, 7:40 PM
You did check to see what model number is stamped on the Powermatic badge didn’t you?

Dick Brown
11-11-2017, 8:05 PM
Thanks for the pictures Matt. Yes, this one has trunions like the yellow ones in the picture. They must have changed on the 66 sometime as the manuals I looked at online show a much different trunion mount. Not hanging on the sides as in your picture but hanging on the top of the front and back of the cabinet. Here is a link which shows the parts if you wade through about 20 pages to get there. I would have loved to look at the tag and see the info but it is long gone. Has been painted with orange paint and looks like with a mop. This one is going to take some time to ever be to the level I will be happy with.
Thanks for your help in trying to get this model straight.

http://www.lexington.woodworkersguild.org/shop/manuals/Powermatic%20Model%2066%20Table%20Saw%20Manual.pdf

Matt Day
11-11-2017, 9:58 PM
No problem. I restored a 65 that was pretty close to a basket case - actually it made baskets at a basket factory.