PDA

View Full Version : Rolling multi-drawer tool cabinet: Any suggestions?

Dominick Giarraputo
11-03-2005, 9:06 PM
I am wanting to build a rolling tool cabinet with multiple drawers and was hoping I could get some suggestions on where to start. I'm not going for the "work of art" thing, Pine & particle board would work just fine. (I hope I didn't just commit a sin by saying that PB word! :eek: ) I just need something functional. Any links you can send me to would be great too!

Thanks

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2005, 9:32 PM
I am wanting to build a rolling tool cabinet with multiple drawers and was hoping I could get some suggestions on where to start. I'm not going for the "work of art" thing, Pine & particle board would work just fine. (I hope I didn't just commit a sin by saying that PB word! :eek: ) I just need something functional. Any links you can send me to would be great too! I've had pretty good luck with the MillsPride closet/garage stuff from Home Depot.

Here's a link to a catalog: http://images.millspride.com/media/pdf/stor_prodcatalog.pdf

For a 24"x24" counter-height module, the base cabinet (C3) gives you one drawer and a door. Top it with a countertop piece (A53) and replace the door with two 10" drawers (AD21). The door can then be used to close off the back. A couple of blocks under the base give you mounting points for the casters of your choice or use one of Rockler's mobile bases.

Or bolt two of them together as part of a workbench base.

Jim Becker
11-03-2005, 9:56 PM
I think that ShopNotes and/or Woodsmith have featured some very nice tool cabinetry from time to time that might fit the bill. They use baltic birch plywood and nice techniques...and even dress things up a little with some easily-sourced aluminum stock.

Paul Canaris
11-04-2005, 7:30 AM
Pictures of cabinets I finshed up a few months ago. The bottom drawers ride on bearing glides. The upper drawers are all different sizes. I made four of these out of common BORG materials.:eek:

John Hemenway
11-04-2005, 9:04 AM
Don't cut corners on the rolling part of the cabinet. I've made cabinets and used the cheap wheels. Yes they do roll, sort of.

I have switched to wheels that are much better. I use these ( http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1989) but I'm sure there are others just as nice. My only problem with them is now they roll so easily I have to be carefull when I unlock them. With the slant the garage floor has, the unlocked cabinet wants to go play in the street! :)

Bart Leetch
11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
You can look at what I did at these 2 SMC URL's

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22740

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25352

Dominick Giarraputo
11-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions and pictures. What great idea's. Those are very close to what I had in mind which only reinforces that I'm on the right track. I agree about using good quality wheels and bearing slides. I have never worked with full extention slides so that will be a challange for me in itself. Hey Paul & Bart, what is the height of your cabinets? (once again , looking for a starting place)

Thanks again for all the help!

Paul Canaris
11-05-2005, 5:09 AM
Dominick, the height was customized to fit under my lumber rack as well as the lathe. Suggest you tailor your design to do the same as it is a real space optimizer when approached that way. Mine are about 30”. For economy I only used the rollers on the large lower drawers that would hold heavy portable power tools. The smaller drawers really don’t need it.

Brian Austin
11-05-2005, 9:24 AM
My first project was a rolling tool cart. It's all plywood construction with roller slides and decent wheels. I'd do some things differently now (like make all four wheels castering instead of just two) but overall I'm satisfied.

Rockler has the Woodsmith plans. Item number 13157.

It has a matching tool chest for the top of the cart. I haven't found a need for it, personally.

Bill Fields
11-05-2005, 9:46 AM
Hey Dom:

Here is a tip I did not follow:

Intall your slides such that they have a slight "downhill" tilt to the rear of the cabinet. Maybe 1/4" over the 22" length?

I did not do this and if all or most of the 6 large drawers slide open at once (say when rolling the cabinet) it will quickly tip forward and break your legs.

Bill Fields

Bill Fields
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Dom--

second the motion about good quality 5" or 6" casters--I usually buy mine at Haarbor Freight--planning to toss about 1 out of 5 bought due to out-of-roundness. They are about 1/4 the cost of borg casters. Since evreything in my shop is mobile, I go thru a lot of casters.

Also, agree that full-swivels all around is more verstile (harder to steer) than 2 fixed/2 swivel.

Bill Fields

Brad Townsend
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
This is what I did:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/btownsend/P3020027.jpg
Combines tool storage with an outfeed table and uses restaurant bus bins for drawers, so it goes together fast. The table can be rotated 90 degrees for ripping long stuff.

Frank Hagan
11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I think that ShopNotes and/or Woodsmith have featured some very nice tool cabinetry from time to time that might fit the bill. They use baltic birch plywood and nice techniques...and even dress things up a little with some easily-sourced aluminum stock.

The ShopNotes and Woodsmith plans are on their PlansNow.com site, and are pretty reasonable in price. They are basically reformatted reprints of the articles, sometimes with two or more articles combined. If you can't find the original magazine articles, the PlansNow.com site is pretty handy.

Dominick Giarraputo
11-05-2005, 5:40 PM
HOLY COW! I fell like a kid in a candy store! What great suggestions. With all this help I should be able to build a tool chest that could blast off into outer space! ;) Brad, you took the words out of my mouth with doubling it as an outfeed table. I have to share my shop (garage) with wife's car so space is at a premium ... and the advise on tilting the slides back so the drawers won't all open and only using the rollers on the large lower drawers are excellent thoughts too, thanks Bill & Paul. I'm going to try to work something up this weekend, I'll post some pics for approval.

Thanks again everyone.

Dennis Peacock
11-05-2005, 7:14 PM
Dominick,

Don't be afraid of the installation of the full extension drawer slides. I can help with that to make it fairly easy when you get ready, so just PM me when you are there and I'll help all I can to make it an easier installation.:D

Ian Barley
11-06-2005, 7:18 AM
Like Brad I used removable plastic trays in my units. Bacause I tend to use this staorage for service tools for my machines I give each major machine its own drawer and when I need the tools I just take the whole draw to the machine. Works well for me and deals with my compulsive inability to put things back where they belong.

scott bonder
11-06-2005, 8:10 AM
Dominick,
It is not like your last name is Smith or Brown. Any relatives in Atlanta? My psuedo-nanny (see below) is from New Orleans, just graduated from Agnes Scott college and now lives in my carriage house, right above the shop.

Just thought it was an interesting coincedence.

* psuedo-nanny = 18 hours a week or so of help with kids and house in exchange for rent.

Dominick Giarraputo
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Scott, no relatives in that area that I know of but that's not to say that we're not from that same clan from the old country. I'm from Brooklyn, 2nd gen American as is all of my family. My grandfather came over on the boat in the early 1900's from Palermo Sicily.

Tell nanny I said hello and that's nice to know that I'm not the only "G" out there!

Bob Marino
11-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Scott, no relatives in that area that I know of but that's not to say that we're not from that same clan from the old country. I'm from Brooklyn, 2nd gen American as is all of my family. My grandfather came over on the boat in the early 1900's from Palermo Sicily.

Tell nanny I said hello and that's nice to know that I'm not the only "G" out there!

Hi Dominick,

Welcome to the Creek.

Where in Brooklyn are you from? - it's a huige town. I was born in Bensonhurst, but we moved to Marine Park soon thereafter.

Bob

scott bonder
11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Dom, I'll let her know. i do know she has an unlce and cousins that own resturants in NYC.

I grew up in Queens myself.

Dominick Giarraputo
11-06-2005, 8:36 PM
Scott & Bob, I guess we were nieghbors, I'm a Greenpoint boy! Boy it's a small world, huh! I only lived there until I was 8 then we moved to Missouri but I've been back plenty. It's stays in your blood.;) Nice to meet you both.

Anyway, here's what I cooked up so far on my tool cabinet. Pocket hole technology is so cool! I'm still puzzled about the correct way to install the drawer slides and what would be the best material to make the boxes out of.

Ron Fritz
11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Plans Now had a free plan for a rolling tool cabinet.
http://plansnow.com/cmpdn001.html

Bill Fields
11-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I like the idea of plastic trays--good and simple.

Another tip:

Buy the Rockler/Kreg tool for placing long slides--uses magnets and saves many an error--I Know!

I have installed maybe 50-60 sliding drawers/pull-outs at my home --and this tool makes it EASIER--not easy.

Another tip--for beginners like me:

Build the carcase first--install the cabinet side slides and the drawer side slides----and FINALLY measure for your drawer widths inside those dimentions..

THE inside dimentions of the installed complete slide shoud be equal to your future drawer widths. I would subtract a 1/8--1/16 " for tolerance.

Godd luck and patience!

BIll Fields

Mike Wilkins
11-07-2005, 9:48 AM
Pick up a copy of the Workbench Book from Taunton; this is the publisher of Fine Woodworking magazine. There are some great ideas for rolling tool chests that will give you some ideas. Or check your local library.
Shopnotes/Woodsmith magazines have published some great tool chests in the past that would make a fine addition to your shop.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

bob gugerty
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Dominick,
Here are some pictures of the tool cart I just finished in Sept. The plans came from "ShopNotes" vol 14 issue 79. It was to go in my shop but my daughter liked it so now it houses all the Barbies. At least now I will not step on those shoes any more. they hurt!!
bob

Dominick Giarraputo
11-08-2005, 7:42 PM
Bob,
I love the slant top disign of your tool...err...Barbie box. I thought I was the only one who lost things like that to me kids! :o What thickness stock did you use for the drawer boxes?
Thanks for sharing the pix.

bob gugerty
11-10-2005, 1:15 PM
Dominick,
I used 1/2 burch plywood for the sides 1/4 hardboard for the bottom and the false front is 3/4 hard maple
bob

John Keane
11-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Woodsmith issue Vol 20, #118 has the roll around tool cart I want to build out of baltic birch just as soon as I convince the LOL that she should park the car outside.