PDA

View Full Version : VERY clever idea, especially for small shops

Brian W Evans
11-11-2017, 8:55 AM
I love this guy's system workshop and he just posted a new video with a really clever shop accessory/cart. Thought you all might be interested:

It looks like he is selling plans for it as well.

https://youtu.be/EWEdrBdbBhg

Matt Day
11-11-2017, 9:05 AM
Thanks for posting - very ingenious design and well thought out. Looks like something one of the big manufacturers should come out with, and pay him for the intellectual property.

Frederick Skelly
11-11-2017, 9:37 AM
He had me hooked when he adjusted the height.
Thanks for posting this Brian.
Fred

glenn bradley
11-11-2017, 11:35 AM
If only I had room to roll such a thing around. Very clever setup indeed. I notice he has more than one.

Robert Engel
11-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Already got the plans!

What a shop. He's got some other good videos.

Yonak Hawkins
11-11-2017, 12:01 PM
I use my rolling carts all the time for such purposes. Some of those functions are very clever. Rather than incorporating them into one unit, however, it seems it would be much less complicated, less expensive, less heavy to roll around and just as convenient, to simply make add-on jigs for specific functions.

Ray Newman
11-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Very interesting with its multi-functions. Terrific shop he has there.

andy bessette
11-11-2017, 1:03 PM
If only I had room to roll such a thing around...

Same here.

David Utterback
11-11-2017, 1:07 PM
Very clever - wish I had room.

Mark Bolton
11-11-2017, 1:40 PM
Amazing batch of work. I for the life of me cant phathom a for-profit shop (other than high art/boutique work) in the US that could afford the time it would take to construct and maintain that overall shop. Envious of working in a space like that but in 30 years I just dont see how to get there and keep the dollars flowing. Wow.

Andrew Hughes
11-11-2017, 2:43 PM
Looks like a big Festool gadget to me. I like Festool I have the domino and a router. The shop is too clean and newish looking for me to believe it's real.

John TenEyck
11-11-2017, 3:33 PM
Very clever, but no room for it in my current shop. And what a shop he has, filled with great machines. Very Euro looking. Oh, the envy.

John

Brian Henderson
11-11-2017, 3:52 PM
Looks like a big Festool gadget to me. I like Festool I have the domino and a router. The shop is too clean and newish looking for me to believe it's real.

If I remember right, it's only a year or so old, I seem to remember watching a couple of videos a while back where he built it.

mreza Salav
11-11-2017, 4:51 PM
Amazing workshop and videos; his Festool gadgets are full.

Brian W Evans
11-11-2017, 5:53 PM
He's located in Belgium, so maybe that makes the economics a bit different than here. Also, Brian is right - his shop is relatively new. I don't know if this means anything but he has 47k subscribers on YouTube, which must earn him something. I, too, am very envious of his shop.

Al Launier
11-11-2017, 6:09 PM
Ingenious design indeed! However, despite all the room in that shop this cart limits one to doing only one aspect of work at a time. To me it would be more beneficial & time effective to allow concurrent work to go on by having multiple carts on casters with each cart dedicated to one or two aspects of work. I don't think I'd like to wait for the cart to free up to do something different with it.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2017, 6:30 PM
Very clever!

Jacob Mac
11-11-2017, 6:55 PM
That looks awesome. Looks like it could serve as an out feed table easily enough too. Pretty nifty if you have a small shop. This is definitely going on my list of things to build. Thanks for sharing

Bill Graham
11-11-2017, 8:05 PM
That's a really nice invention, if I had room in my "small shop" I'd buy the plans and build one. As it is I don't have the space for it to stand still, much less roll it around.

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
11-11-2017, 8:11 PM
There's a lot of ingenuity to that design for sure.

Mick Simon
11-11-2017, 8:33 PM
I built his MFTC a few years back and use the hell out of it. Very, very clever design. especially for tight spaces or those needing mobility. I'll probably get these plans as I'm constantly shuttling stuff back and forth between the garage next to my shop space.

One thing I've noticed about Tim's designs is that he does not release them until they're dialed in. His plans are excellent. Very clever design once again.

Brad Shipton
11-11-2017, 8:49 PM
Very cool. I had to buy the plans and they are a good deal for 7.50 EU. I am going to re-vamp the design a tad to be cut efficiently on a CNC. It seems like some are interested so, maybe someone can make a deal with him and turn it into a kit. Sure a whole lot less expensive than a Barth Cart. Not quite as pretty, but those seem to be for the professionals.

Thanks for sharing.

Mick Simon
11-11-2017, 9:54 PM
I'm doing the same thing. Nice plans. Hell of a deal for $8.98!

Justin Ludwig
11-12-2017, 6:56 AM
Amazing batch of work. I for the life of me cant phathom a for-profit shop (other than high art/boutique work) in the US that could afford the time it would take to construct and maintain that overall shop. Envious of working in a space like that but in 30 years I just dont see how to get there and keep the dollars flowing. Wow.
i was thinking the same thing. I love a clean and tidy shop and am constantly improving flow, but wow and kudos to his space. It’s not only his shop but his mass of Festool and Felder.

Rick Malakoff
11-12-2017, 8:33 AM
Gentlemen!
I don't have the room or time to make something like it. But if anyone builds one I'd sure would like to know how much time you have invested in the project.
Rick

Joe Calhoon
11-12-2017, 9:15 AM
Thanks for the link. I just watched his shop building videos. I was impressed with his knowledge of euro door and window building and the small shop innovations for building them. I bet he was trained in a Meister school.
when I found that he is in Belgium I am not surprised at his shop level of quality. I have toured a lot of shops in Europe and the 2 most high end in product and shop layout were in Belgium. Looks like his building is planned for growth and will be looking forward to more changes and innovation.

Martin Wasner
11-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I started watching his shop build videos. I'm at the point where he's insulating.... with straw. Some over the top carpentry work, then straw? Bizarre.

Brad Shipton
11-12-2017, 2:01 PM
Martin, straw was very common in roof construction in Europe years ago. I was in Scandinavia this year and they still do this, but it is very expensive now due to insurance costs. Here is an example of a straw roof from the 16th century if I recall the date correctly. Quite a bit of upkeep. In that era it was more about the materials they had.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/X4pjAdKwAYHhHyvw6M19qD7v5lxsztx1YzQjuVSm6v0hj3_SuT flHpOyokEAdR5BecG_GGBUVa3nuIl-St-JJfdvH3cC2005ORisfsS2rB3oy0fxaT4C3zzqAb8xWhO5LYoqP uaJMnMv6utm7wgAoGXXkE0tzomrt9YnlZssmRaixnj92A6jZXf wyZizUO_CI6zbqNbfne2nzqlSNVenMkJmlwlyTbW3FkxdKV-gxyWtpU5CRJExxFBbiNxyUMt5Ee2XfnGKxE3WKoblJMdKW1flT Gtd7PXNCZzdR0Fb4aN36dvFDppK3j-HMSJ_iNtKKUME74xdq6OPonXuRevkuChr9Wb-1zZyX6x6js-Iqvqvz2VLNPi6AlFCHcFORFEGFNChVI-0aDN_M2FKLTI9koais8Gg0h3ja42PemfhDdtwOVYup3xsFWqdq ojaXAAwYJhmfIDc3XAAeXXr_ggf2MQmQLn97h1EKzS8J12klh2 scvlJ4OOAz6_GBmQx55pL-0gcDA3W-3QXu9zUIXIzvvEqRAb0LNIYf6dnFXrUbABp5oJB0t1KPUHhN6M HSsveAirsR-CIJ_G5aJ0aeXfheL5YoOy6RKonOWkmy7Co7Q=w1264-h949-no
(https://photos.app.goo.gl/J0zTUcw61mhZ9Q8v2)

Martin Wasner
11-12-2017, 2:46 PM
Sure, it was used, but it's 2017. There's better options than straw.

Brad Shipton
11-12-2017, 2:54 PM
Not a fan of the straw. Nor am I, but some love it. It is considered a more "green" option, and this guy clearly is vested in being green in more ways than one. I bet using the straw cost him a bundle if Belgium enforces rules like other European countries.

Bradley Gray
11-12-2017, 7:29 PM
Years ago, I made a timber frame for a straw bale house. A year or 2 later the owner told me the rodents sounded like they were running a racetrack at night.

Bob Falk
11-12-2017, 8:51 PM
This looks like a nice cart for my small shop......I just bought the plans and am going to try to adjust/modify to also use as an outfeed table for my tablesaw. I'm wondering if some of the parts could be welded up from tube steel to make the cart a little more robust.

Joe Calhoon
11-12-2017, 9:18 PM
Years ago, I made a timber frame for a straw bale house. A year or 2 later the owner told me the rodents sounded like they were running a racetrack at night.

That’s good to know! I mentioned to my wife that I would like to insulate my shop that way and she said the mice would like that.
there are a few straw bale houses here.

Dan T Jones
11-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Great cart but when I turn the top things will go everywhere.

Arthur Fleming
11-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Yeah, what he said!

johnny means
11-13-2017, 12:15 AM
Ingenious design indeed! However, despite all the room in that shop this cart limits one to doing only one aspect of work at a time. To me it would be more beneficial & time effective to allow concurrent work to go on by having multiple carts on casters with each cart dedicated to one or two aspects of work. I don't think I'd like to wait for the cart to free up to do something different with it.

Agreed, I need all these functions at the same time, if not multiples of each. I love the design and execution. I could definitely see great utility in a certain type of environment.

Jerry Olexa
11-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Very clever..Thanks.