PDA

View Full Version : Three Legged Monster

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2005, 7:38 PM
A week or two ago I started a thread about drum chucks and holding a vacuum. At the end of that thread I posted a shot of the piece that caused the problem and said that I'd be working to improve the design of the thing.

Well, I got back to it the other day. The original piece is on the top left and my thought was that it appeared a bit thick. The top right shot is the next attempt and I think it went way too far in the opposite direction - too thin. The bottom piece is the recent attempt, and I'm tempted to think it's okay.

All are the same size 6" wide and 3" tall. All cherry with three rubs of tungoil and a buffing. Number Two was pretty scary to buff!

Comments? Advice? Cautions? Warning?

My own advice is to never turn something that will be a nightmare to fix endgrain on!

John Miliunas
11-03-2005, 8:01 PM
Well, Andy, opinions being what they are and, with a wide variety of tastes, it's my option to disagree!:D For me, were I to choose just one, I think it would be your second attempt. To me, for whatever reason, it appears that one just looks more "refined" and really brings out the "3-legged" approach more dramatically. I think you did a fine job on all three but, there you have it. I vote for the second one!:D :cool:

Ed Scolforo
11-03-2005, 8:09 PM
Andy: I'm with John on this one, your second effort kicks butt!
Ed

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2005, 8:32 PM
I agree with you both. It does have a better form to it proportionately speaking. But with the legs only 1/8" thick and with the grain running the wrong way on two of them I told myself to get thicker on the next try. As it is, Number Two would have to sit behind glass for fear of breakage and I wanted this thing to be functional. For what I don't know, but for me, the best part of turning (all ww for that matter) is the touchy feely aspect and I can't even see this thing surviving a trip with Brown.

Perhaps somewhere between number two and three. Time to try more.

Jim Ketron
11-03-2005, 8:49 PM
Nice Job Andy!
My vote is #2 also!

Loy Hawes
11-03-2005, 8:55 PM
My vote is for number two as well. With those cool looking spider legs, it looks as if it could run across the table. Care to let us in on how you are making these?

Mark Singer
11-03-2005, 9:12 PM
Beautiful! I like #2 too

Mark Cothren
11-03-2005, 9:16 PM
They all look good, but I gotta jump on the wagon and vote for #2. It's my favorite.

Glenn Hodges
11-03-2005, 9:51 PM
Andy, I appreciate all the work you have put into these, and I vote for #2.

Keith Burns
11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
OK, heres the deal, I don't like any of them. Just kidding, I vote for No. 2 as well. Although thin does not always impress me, in this case it does. It adds something. If it has to go behind glass then it's art.

Carole Valentine
11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Andy, I admire your courage in turning these! I will also have to vote for #2.
#1 looks like my dog's water bowl :D and on #3 the bowl part lacks the refined form of the bowl part of #2. One thing you might try to "fortify" the weak crossgrain of the thin legs is soaking the piece in a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. Once it dries, it doesn't seem to affect finishing (I've used danish Oil over it) and it acts as a sanding sealer. I would think it would add some strength to the thin cross grain of the legs. Of course you have already finished this piece so it's a moot point.

Dick Parr
11-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Yep, have to agree with the rest, #2 is really nice. Great job on all of them.:)

David LaRue
11-04-2005, 6:27 AM
#2 is scary, and also the best!

dave

John Hart
11-04-2005, 6:33 AM
Yup...#2 has the best flow. Cool Design Andy. Looking forward to the future ones!!

Sparky Paessler
11-04-2005, 7:32 AM
I'll have to go with #2 also.

Chris Barton
11-04-2005, 7:32 AM
Top right picture (#2?) is the best! You could call it a spider bowl...

Bill Stevener
11-04-2005, 1:11 PM
Very interesting Andy, after reading all of the other posts, it's hard to say this is one mans opinion, but I also like #2 the best.
I have to try that some day.
Very nice, Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Timo Christ
11-04-2005, 2:07 PM
I also like #2 best. It looks very elegant. I don't know how you make these three legs on a lathe.. probably lack of imagination on my part. (do you cut the material out first?)
How about rotating the blank such that you get long grain in the legs? (ok, that means end grain on top and inside..)
Regards
Timo

Travis Stinson
11-04-2005, 6:43 PM
I really hate bandwagons................but I've gotta go with #2 also. Looks very alive.

Andy Hoyt
11-04-2005, 7:16 PM
Okay. Let me see if I'm hearing you all correctly. Number Two?

I do have tons more 12/4 cherry so I have plenty to practice on. Next time I'll try to shoot for a leg that's slightly thicker and do my best to orient thiings so the grain will be more supportive to the legs. And Carole, thanks; I'll give that a shot too. I'll also try to remember to take some progress shots so you can see how I do these. I'll also try one with the grain running vertically through the piece as I do think it will stengthen the legs, but that comes at the cost of tons more sanding. UGH. And I just got a shipment from John Hart with all sorts of good looking candidates for this. There's a few chunks of box elder in there that look especially appetizing for this; and I've never turned the stuff, so that should be fun.

On a completely off topic note - you have got to click this link. It's a riot. Turn the sound up on your pc first.

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=382219626&m=1652&rr=y&sou