PDA

View Full Version : Dog Bed Frame

glenn bradley
11-10-2017, 7:45 AM
The Beast continues to get Christmas early. It's been a busy couple of days in the shop but, I managed to squeeze in some time on this. It is designed to fit on the never-used fireplace hearth to try to take advantage of that wasted space . . . I'm in SoCal and we don't use fireplaces as anything but, decoration till you get a couple thousand feet up out of the basin. It will tuck back into the firebox opening just a couple inches until it bumps into the glass-doored 'screen'.

This will be in the living room and so will be cherry to match other items in that room.

This is a case where the planer sled comes in handy as the 8" jointer is insufficient. Sorry, the forum sometimes ignores the rotation data on the pics.

371373 . 371368

I want to get two sides out of a particular piece so I nest them and rough-cut them with the jigsaw.

cont'd

glenn bradley
11-10-2017, 7:51 AM
I cut near the line on the bandsaw on one side, shave to the line and then use that side as a template for the other.

The joinery is just rabbets. The scale of the rabbet is OK for smaller items but, a bit exaggerated if you needed more strength. This joint lets me chamfer or round the corner which minimizes the obviousness of the joint

371375 . 371376

The original design idea was for slats to allow some airflow. My design consultant ;) is asking for a solid bottom so a simple frame with a piece of 1/4" ply will do the trick.

Here's where I ended up. I should be able to carve out some more time pretty quick since it is in my way until I am ready to apply finish.

James Pallas
11-10-2017, 2:53 PM
Lucky dog! Nice little project Glenn. My guy would need one more on the twin bed size.
Jim

glenn bradley
11-10-2017, 7:52 PM
Lucky dog! Nice little project Glenn. My guy would need one more on the twin bed size.
Jim

Accessories for large breeds can get out of hand quick :). I was actually a little concerned about this one till my wife came up with the great idea of putting it up on the hearth. Our dog is only about 70 pounds but, lanky. I think this thing is at the size limit for pet furniture in our little house . . . maybe even a bit over the line :).

glenn bradley
11-22-2017, 9:12 PM
Finally got a bit more done on this.

The shop lights and flash are not super complimentary on the cherry. Once it is in the house and the drawer unit is under it I'll post a 'finish up' pic.

glenn bradley
12-16-2017, 5:44 PM
Ooops! I never closed the loop on this. Here's the finished unit.

Generous drawers on each side for dog stuff.

And where would you be without dog-bone drawer-pulls?

No extra charge for the dog hair.

Jim Becker
12-16-2017, 8:16 PM
Doggo is livin' large! (Nice work!)

David Utterback
12-17-2017, 8:39 AM
Love the ingenuity. The beautiful cherry matches the craftsmanship. Excellent.

Mike Heidrick
12-18-2017, 1:07 AM
Pit?

My Pit, Sassy, turned 1year old last month. Love her soooo MUCH!

Awesome bed you made!!

A few years ago I copied a Pottery Barn bed a buddy had so their Weimaraners could have a bed just like them in their master bedroom LOL. They loved it.

Greg Parrish
12-18-2017, 7:56 AM
Turned out great. That's awesome for the pup.

By chance do you have any details on your planer sled and also the clamp setup used on the router table for the two sides. Thanks for any info as I'm interested in both. :)