PDA

View Full Version : Tool Obsession?

joseph mansker
11-09-2017, 10:30 PM
OK...I am a newbie here at the Sawmill, but have been woodworking for a very long time. Usually just read the posts and stay in the background. The question that I have to pose to you is can one have too many motorized tools? I recently acquired a 14 inch DeWalt RAS ($40 bucks at an online auction if you can believe it) and a Powermatic 143 BS (the one with the dual transmission for metal/wood), both in really good shape. I already have an older 14 inch Delta BS and a 12 inch Walker Turner iron beast of a RAS. I am going to sell the Walker Turner because I really like the DeWalt, but am considering keeping the Delta and using it for wood and the Powermatic just for metal work. I am starting to think I am obsessed....:D.

Bruce Page
11-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Joseph, welcome to the club & welcome to Sawmill Creek! The only criteria I've ever used for a new power tool is if I have a need and enough room for it. At some point I ran out of room!

Travis Porter
11-09-2017, 11:13 PM
It gets worse. Once you run out of space, you start upgrading smaller stuff. Bosch/DeWalt/PC to Festool, Stanley to Lie Nielsen/ Lee valley and then you go to tooling.... Saw blades, router bits, and shaper cutters...

that doesn’t account for wood. I have lumber stored across 4 counties....

I would love to buy an automatic dovetail machine, and then I ask myself why..... I have 3 dovetail fixtures I barely use so why do I need an automatic unit.....

i digresss.... welcome to the jungle.

Frederick Skelly
11-10-2017, 7:25 AM
Welcome to SMC Joe! Glad to have you join us!

You can never have too many tools, as long as you have a big building to put them in. And power tools are a great place to start.

But look. Whatever you do. No matter what. DO NOT go visit the Neanderthal Forum here. Because Travis is right - hand tools will become your next great obsession. They're shiny and sharp and expensive. It starts with hand planes. They can take the thinnest, sexiest shavings you've ever seen Joe. And you're going to want to try all the different kinds and makers - wooden planes, old stanley planes, Lee Valley, Lie Neilsen, maybe even (gasp!) Bridge City. And then there are a thousand sharpening stones and accessories - waterstones, oilstones, ceramic stones, diamond stones, sharpening jigs, waterstone ponds, stone holders.... Then it goes on to handsaws. Western style. Japanese style. Joe, don't google Ron Bontz Saw Works - you're gonna want one. Next it's chisels. Old chisels. New chisels. Mortise chisels (Pig stickers!). Butt chisels. Paring chisels. Antique. Aldi. LV. Lie Nielsen. O1, PMV-11. White steel. Blue steel. You'll want one of each. (Just to try them out ;)) Then there are spokehaves, and molding planes, and hollows-and-rounds and......

Joe, just take it from me. Stay away from the Neander Forum or your obsession will GROW. (DAMHIKT.)

Derek Cohen
11-10-2017, 7:27 AM
Oh Gawd, I'll have to go there now! :eek:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cary Falk
11-10-2017, 8:23 AM
I do this woodworking nonsense to justify playing with tools.

Lee Schierer
11-10-2017, 8:33 AM
You forgot to mention sharpening stones and gadgets.....:eek:

Jacob Mac
11-10-2017, 8:46 AM
In all fairness, spokeshaves are incredibly useful. And the Lie Nielsen spokeshaves are just so perfectly made. By far my favorite tool to use.

George Conklin
11-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Welcome to SMC Joe! Glad to have you join us!

You can never have too many tools, as long as you have a big building to put them in. And power tools are a great place to start.

But look. Whatever you do. No matter what. DO NOT go visit the Neanderthal Forum here. Because Travis is right - hand tools will become your next great obsession. They're shiny and sharp and expensive. It starts with hand planes. They can take the thinnest, sexiest shavings you've ever seen Joe. And you're going to want to try all the different kinds and makers - wooden planes, old stanley planes, Lee Valley, Lie Neilsen, maybe even (gasp!) Bridge City. And then there are a thousand sharpening stones and accessories - waterstones, oilstones, ceramic stones, diamond stones, sharpening jigs, waterstone ponds, stone holders.... Then it goes on to handsaws. Western style. Japanese style. Joe, don't google Ron Bontz Saw Works - you're gonna want one. Next it's chisels. Old chisels. New chisels. Mortise chisels (Pig stickers!). Butt chisels. Paring chisels. Antique. Aldi. LV. Lie Nielsen. O1, PMV-11. White steel. Blue steel. You'll want one of each. (Just to try them out ;)) Then there are spokehaves, and molding planes, and hollows-and-rounds and......

Joe, just take it from me. Stay away from the Neander Forum or your obsession will GROW. (DAMHIKT.)

I think you've hit the nail on the head!:)

glenn bradley
11-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Everyone needs two bandsaws, minimum . . . you're fine ;-)

Rick Potter
11-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Glen is right. It's when you have four radial arm saws, that you should think about getting help with your 'problem'.

Daniel O'Connell
11-10-2017, 1:03 PM
Glen is right. It's when you have four radial arm saws, that you should think about getting help with your 'problem'.

Phew, I only have three....

Kyle Iwamoto
11-10-2017, 2:06 PM
I am starting to think I am obsessed....:D.

Aren't we all? I think I have close to 100 planes. Good morning, my name is Kyle, and I have a disease...... I collect planes........

Tom M King
11-10-2017, 9:35 PM
Rehab is for quitters.

John K Jordan
11-11-2017, 12:21 AM
...The question that I have to pose to you is can one have too many motorized tools?

Joseph,

Maybe that's a question you should ask your wife!

I'm assuming this is a hobby shop and not a business. I personally think that, given sufficient space and spare money, the logical (non-obsessive) limit to the number of tools should probably be how many you will actually use. The obsession might be when you get tools just to have them but never use them, whether powered by electricity or by muscle.

I have a good friend who builds houses who came over between jobs to remodel my chicken house. (It was like a vacation for him!) He started looking around and said, "You sure have a lot of tools. But that's not unusual, a lot of people have a lot of tools -- the difference is it looks like you actually USE all of yours!"

I think the availability of cheap tools from places like Harbor Freight tends to feed tool obsession. It's easier to justify bringing home an angle grinder you may rarely use if it only costs $15. My philosophy is different. I have no problem paying $100 for an good quality angle grinder but I'll use it a lot - I still use the first one I bought maybe 30 years ago. Some tools I don't use as much, such as a Festool plunge router, but I can rely on it when I need it.

To me a well-thought-out shop with quality tools is a joy to work in (and to visit). A shop overflowing with junk tools, not so much.

JKJ

peter Joseph
11-11-2017, 12:41 AM
Hand tools are significantly more obsessive. I have a thing for coffin smoothers. Old irons take and keep an incredible edge and theyre often found for around 10$. I'm afraid to count how many ive acquired.

Prashun Patel
11-11-2017, 7:06 AM
I am in the process of paring down the herd. I am as tool obsessed as the next guy. However, I am finding even more joy in trying to make do with fewer tools.

The irony is that I am inspired this way by a friend I am helping to teach. Challenged with making a groove in a box for a drawer bottom, before I could give him the router plane, he just did it with a chisel. And darn well.

in a year, he has done more with my old pair of narex chisels, a bailey jack, discarded shooting board, shark pull saw and dozuki z saw than I can. And I have a decade head start on him.

I have a history and the luxury of looking to the next tool to make me a little better. He however, makes work what he has.

I'm envious of this.

John Gulick
11-19-2017, 7:58 PM
Wives can often put the necessary damper on things, ....

Dave Zellers
11-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Joseph, welcome to the club & welcome to Sawmill Creek! The only criteria I've ever used for a new power tool is if I have a need and enough room for it. At some point I ran out of room!

That's me to a "T" except I refuse to give up. I'm exploring ways of stacking tools in the unused ceiling space. :eek:

Suspending a SuperMax 16-32 from the ceiling wouldn't be weird, would it?

Dave Zellers
11-19-2017, 10:32 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rick Potter http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2743493#post2743493)

Daniel O'Connell:
Phew, I only have three....

Me:
I had three but after a self intervention I'm down to two.

Mike Heidrick
11-19-2017, 10:34 PM
These replies are cute.

Dave Zellers
11-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Wives can often put the necessary damper on things, ....

That's when you build something nice for them...

Jaze Derr
11-20-2017, 3:22 AM
Yeah, but what happens when it's the WIFE who has the tool obsession?!? And the husband doesn't care, as long as it doesn't overflow into his space!

Seriously, though, don't go down the hand plane rabbit hole. I just spent a day in antique shops last week and came home with 5 planes. And three chisels. and some files...