PDA

View Full Version : Replacing basement windows

Bob Johnson2
11-03-2005, 7:10 PM
As the subject line says, I need to get rid of the single pane windows in my basement shop. They are the metal framed type that look to be set into the wet concrete at pouring time. Can anyone tell me if these are set into the concrete too far to be removed fairly cleanly? I have no idea if the frame has a flang or some something to that effect. Anyone know?

Thanks

Tyler Howell
11-03-2005, 7:30 PM
Block Walls???
On my 3rd old house rehab and 2 with metal windows to replace.
Mine were set in a bedding of cement about an inch in all around.
Good luck.

tjh

Bob Johnson2
11-03-2005, 8:29 PM
Block Walls???
On my 3rd old house rehab and 2 with metal windows to replace.
Mine were set in a bedding of cement about an inch in all around.
Good luck.

tjh

It's poured, I'm afraid that it may be an inch deep, don't really know. If that ends up being the case the frames stay.

Earl Reid
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I had my old metal framed basement windows (6) replaced about 4 yrs ago. They were set in cement. 2 guys came and replaced them with glass blocks with smaller windows and screens. They did a very good job and were done and gone in about 4 hr.,total cost was $400.00.
Earl

Bob Johnson2
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I had my old metal framed basement windows (6) replaced about 4 yrs ago. They were set in cement. 2 guys came and replaced them with glass blocks with smaller windows and screens. They did a very good job and were done and gone in about 4 hr.,total cost was $400.00.
Earl

Earl, was that a window replacement firm?

Earl Reid
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
NO it was from a handy man ad in the paper. I gave them a extra tip for doing a good job . The windows came from a local company (The price did included the windows)
arl

Tyler Howell
11-04-2005, 9:23 AM
The Borg has individual block and entire block systems that slide into a preped opening.
I used both as well as double hung basement windows and prefer the block system.
I was able to get a neater job and like the security.

Bob Johnson2
11-04-2005, 11:01 AM
The Borg has individual block and entire block systems that slide into a preped opening.
I used both as well as double hung basement windows and prefer the block system.
I was able to get a neater job and like the security.

Tyler, By block do you mean glass blocks? Like they used to make walls out of in the 50's?

Darrick Robbins
11-04-2005, 1:39 PM
I replaced all of my basement windows in the last year--a couple at a time. My home is brick and the windows fit into the slot between the foundation and the brick. It was cemented in with a little bit of mortar. I just took out the single pane glass and then bent up the bottom part of the frame, cut it and then took it out. The new vinyl windows fit great into the openings with a little bit of shimming here and there. I screwed them into the sill above, and then just glued them in with construction adhesive and caulk. It was pretty simple and painless.
As a side note after I replaced all of the basement windows I noticed my water heater wouldn't stay lit, and my chimney wouldn't draw. In short I had sealed it up so well that there was no airflow into the house. I had to add a 6" vent in the utility room, and it works great now. Just one of those things that happens when you improve I guess. Good Luck.
Darrick

Lee Schierer
11-07-2005, 12:37 PM
The metal frames in my basement windows are set in grooves in the blocks on the sides and are beeded in mortar on the bottom.

I replaced some basement windows for my daughter in a house she owned with glass block. It is a messy but very doable job for a DIY person. If you've ever lyed brick you can do glass block. Spend some time with the person at the glass block outlet and they will give you lots of tips. They make some nifty spacers that hold the block while the mortar sets up. Just be sure to wipe the glass clean with a sponge once the mortar starts setting up.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Bob...one thing you might consider is storm windows for the basement windows. I put storm windows on my basement windows. They are installed using caulk and have a removeable window section for ventilation. Works well and were cheaper and easier than replacing the windows.

Tyler Howell
11-07-2005, 2:16 PM
Tyler, By block do you mean glass blocks? Like they used to make walls out of in the 50's?

Yes Bob , Glass block windows. Very trendy right now. Some companies sell an entire system completly assembled you slide in and secure in place.

Worked prety good.

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 3:11 PM
Bob - I'd be hesitant to put glass block in a cellar window, especially if your cellar is fully below grade. Why? Because this will effectively become a wall component that adds a bit of light; but does nothing with regard to ventilation. I have always left my small cellar windows open during the bottom half of the year to keep my (fully below grade) cellar ventilated. Wind blows in one side and out the other and keeps the area nice and dry. Makes a huge difference when it's humid. Just close 'em up in the fall and reopen them in the late spring.

FYI - This is why there are always (or should be) vents installed in the walls of a house with a crawl space. It's also a building code mandate.

Any decent lumber yard should have operable basement utility windows in a variety of sizes with various features that will fit your specific installation requirements.

Tyler Howell
11-07-2005, 5:00 PM
Just a couple of the many suppliers on the net, and found at the borg. (no affiliation)
This web shows a custom pannel being installed for a basement window.
Three of the six windows I installed had Screened inserts to allow cross ventilation of fresh air.
Sorry I'm searching vigorously for pix my install. 2 houses ago.

http://www.glass-blocks.com/glass.blocks.st.louis.products.htm
http://www.pacificaccent.com/

Bob Johnson2
11-07-2005, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I did some searches on the block windows and found some that are custom made to your specs. Also looked at the storm windows at the local borg, will need to either make a frame for them to fit that's bigger then my windows, or special order them. Another person suggested pexiglass held in like a screen dorr window on the insides as the window frame is flush with the inside of the foundation, I think this is kind of bush league, even for me.
I'm going to persue the storm window idea for this year and try ripping out one of the frame next year, when we won't freeze if it takes a month to put it back together.