PDA

View Full Version : California Air Tools 4 Hp compressors?

Bill Graham
11-08-2017, 8:33 PM
I've searched the site, found a few posts on their smaller compressors that are overall favorable. They seem quiet and reliable and both are important to me. Portability isn't a concern, it has a dedicated home in the basement.

I have a Rolair VT20TB and it meets the quiet requirement well, it just doesn't put out enough air to run my nailguns and small HVLP conversion guns so I have to use a 15-gal tank from an old compressor as a reservoir. Even with that, the framing and trim guns run out of pressure most of the time I'm using them.

So I ordered the CAT 20040C (http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressors/4-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-20040c/) with the auto-drain. It's a little quieter from published specs than the Rolair(75 Db vs 79 Db) but I'll wait to hear on that. I'm just looking forward to having a compressor that has enough capacity to do what I need it to do.

So does anyone have the 4Hp version of the compressor? Thoughts and impressions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

Jim Becker
11-08-2017, 8:45 PM
You'll appreciate having that auto-drain...that was one of the best things I added to my compressor right from the start! Congrats on the new compressor.

Brian Lamb
11-08-2017, 8:50 PM
I have the 2hp 10 gallon version and it's a nice compressor... think mine is coming up on two years now and still going strong, and it gets quite a bit of use. When my big 80 gallon Ingersol goes belly up I'll probably just buy another 2hp unit and run them both into the 80 gallon tank as a reservoir.

Tom Blank
11-17-2017, 1:00 AM
Brian,

What's the specific model number?

Thanks,

Tom

Prashun Patel
11-17-2017, 9:02 AM
I have the 20040CAD. I think that's your model number.

I'm using mine in a 24x7 situation, and I'm finding it cycles a little more than I wish it did.

I've used ours for about 4 months. For my application it's a little too small. I think it would operate fine @ 90psi, but we require about 100psi. For this, the 20gal tank seems to empty pretty quickly.

It has worked fine, but I do notice that it is a little louder even after a short 4 months in.

We are replacing this (in fact today) with a twin screw rotary compressor, but we'll keep the 20040CAD as a back up.

If you are planning to use this fairly extensively at > 90 psi, I would consider getting the 10gallon auxiliary tank (bringing you to 30 gallons). The support guys @ CAT (very very helpful, BTW) advised that the compressor is designed to run about 50% of the time. You might consider getting a maintenance kit (direct from CAT). For light usage, they say to replace these parts annually. For heavy, every 6 months.

(dryer)
AMONIA DESSICANT 1LB INDUSTRIAL DESICCANT (2)
SYQ63U-1020 DESICCANT WATER TRAP (2)
SYQ37 REGULATOR W/ WATER TRAP (1)
SYQ40-4620 AIR FILTER (2)

(motor parts)
AIR INFLOW VALVE (2)
AIR GASSING VALVE (2)
CYLINDER OBT RING (2)
CYL. HEAD OBT RING (2)
CYLINDER (2)
PISTON RING (2)

Brian Lamb
11-17-2017, 9:54 AM
Got mine from Home Depot on the "Black Friday Sale" a couple years ago, normally they run about $350-$370 and it was on sale for $297 (20% off). Model number is 10020C. Here is a link to the specific unit: https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-10-Gal-2-0-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-10020C/206644539

Mine looks slightly different as it appears they have changed pressure switch brand/model, but I suspect that happens a lot.