PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 444 Dovetail Plane & 14x Tongue & Groove Planes

John Edwards
11-03-2005, 6:55 PM
Thought you folks might like a couple shots of the infamous Dovetail plane.
Here are two of my three.

With the proper setup(s) it will cut male and female dovetails, Sliders and tapered dovetails. Even the teeth on a gear, if one was so inclined.

Also included are a shot of the 146/7/8 Tongue and Groove planes. Each is designed to cut a tongue and groove joint. Centered on a different thickness.
146 does 3/8, 147 5/8 and the 148 centers on a 7/8 thickness.
The plane is pushed one way cutting the groove. Then turned end for end to cut the tongue.
Kinda cool way to join edge jointed boards.
Thanks
John Edwards

Dennis McDonaugh
11-03-2005, 9:09 PM
John, those look great. Are they refurbished? They look like they just came from the factory.

John Edwards
11-03-2005, 9:31 PM
Dennis,
Indeed they have been refurbished.
One came from the land of `OZ. Another from U.K. and the third from Texas.
All were completely taken apart. Replacemnet pieces aquired as needed. Then stripped and re-nickel plated.
Stanley used what I call a flash plating on there tools. Added a bit of shine and rust resistance but did not wear very well. These tools have been properly prepped and plated with a much higher quality plating.

Due to health reasons I try to stay away from machine tools as much as I can. But I still enjoy working with quality, good looking tools. Hence the time and effort in refurbishing.

Also in the collection are several Stanley 45`s, 46`s, 48`s, 49`s, 55`s etc that have all had the same treatment.

If anyone has interest I would be happy to pass on the information of the plater that I use.

Thanks
John Edwards

Mark Stutz
11-03-2005, 9:45 PM
Great loking collection! It's just not fair, though, the one person has a #1332 ( that's 444X3!)

James Mittlefehldt
11-04-2005, 5:45 AM
John I just wondered how they work, they do not have a particularliy good reputation, have you used them for cutting a dovetail groove?