PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Marketing - Vegan Leather, What's Next?

Andrew Joiner
11-08-2017, 1:23 PM
I do a lot of leather work.
I use full grain leather, the vegetable tanned leather that saddles are made from. I love it because like wood it can be waxed and oiled. Like wood it gets a patina, looks better as it ages and proven to last for centuries.

Lately I've seen some products made with "vegan leather" also known as the less popular "fake leather" or plastic!
What's next "vegan wood products"? It's accurate and could be a clever marketing gimmick.

Anyone seen any other crazy marketing gimmicks lately?

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-08-2017, 1:42 PM
I have been gluten free long before it became a fad. I'm okay with it becoming a fad because now I have more pre-made choices available to me instead of making most meals from scratch. I can't help but laugh at items like a package of frozen berries, frozen salmon filet, or canned peas with the words "gluten free" on the label.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-08-2017, 1:49 PM
I have been gluten free long before it became a fad. I'm okay with it becoming a fad because now I have more pre-made choices available to me instead of making most meals from scratch. I can't help but laugh at items like a package of frozen berries, frozen salmon filet, or canned peas with the words "gluten free" on the label.

Sometimes a spice or "flavoring" is used that contains gluten, so this provides a quick way for someone to know without checking the ingredient list. Of course, even there, there could be contamination issues; rolled oats is a prime example there.

Bill Jobe
11-08-2017, 2:13 PM
I think it high time someone comes out with vegetable products the look just like meat.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2017, 3:04 PM
I think it high time someone comes out with vegetable products the look just like meat.

They already have. Some are like hamburger patties, some are like sea food.

In my younger days some of my vegetarian dishes fooled meat eating folks into thinking they contained meat.

What's next "vegan wood products"? It's accurate and could be a clever marketing gimmick.

Don't you mean "carnivore" wood, made of animal byproducts?

Does anyone recall when some national bread bakers were called out for adding saw dust to their bread and calling it powdered cellulose fiber?

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/garden/wood-pulp-as-fiber-in-bread.html

Not sure if there is any legal reason they can not still do this today.

jtk

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-08-2017, 3:09 PM
Sometimes a spice or "flavoring" is used that contains gluten, so this provides a quick way for someone to know without checking the ingredient list. Of course, even there, there could be contamination issues; rolled oats is a prime example there.

I agree, but when the sole ingredient is peas or wild salmon, it's rather amusing looking at the gluten free label.

Dan Friedrichs
11-08-2017, 3:24 PM
My most recent favorite: a "digital prescription therapeutic" for opioid addiction. Apparently a "digital prescription therapeutic" is....an app. You're addicted to pain pills? There's an app for that...

http://www.mobihealthnews.com/content/pear-therapeutics-gets-de-novo-fda-clearance-reset-digital-therapeutic-substance-abuse

Stan Calow
11-08-2017, 4:36 PM
at the local farmers market, one guy used to market his sweet corn as "meatless" which I (but not many others) finally realized meant - no worms.

Andrew Joiner
11-08-2017, 5:28 PM
Panera Bread advertises "100% clean food"

So I looked it up. They claim they are serving better food because they call it clean. Yet the bulk of the menu shows products made with enriched white flour, widely recognised as less healthy than whole grain.

So I guess they mean the food other places sell is dirty?:D

Adam Herman
11-08-2017, 5:32 PM
should call it oil based vegan leather. that will really get some people confused.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2017, 7:31 PM
Yet the bulk of the menu shows products made with enriched white flour,

Well it has to be clean after all that bleaching!!! :eek::eek::eek:

jtk

Wayne Lomman
11-09-2017, 2:49 AM
My favourites are the uses of 'organic'. How does organic water sound? Or organic salt? Just what do they add to these...?! Pond slime? I am with Mike on theirs uses of gluten free. Some of them are genuine 'no sh.. Sherlock' ideas. Cheers

Alan Rutherford
11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
My most recent favorite: a "digital prescription therapeutic" for opioid addiction. Apparently a "digital prescription therapeutic" is....an app...

That's a relief. I thought it might be a finger.

Andrew Joiner
11-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Well it has to be clean after all that bleaching!!! :eek::eek::eek:

jtk

That's funny Jim!

You're right it is "100% clean food" with the bleaching. And it does sound better than "100% stripped of nutrients"

Michael Weber
11-09-2017, 11:25 AM
I believe the Panera Bread claimrefers to all their meat being free from antibiotics.

Peter Kelly
11-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I do a lot of leather work.
I use full grain leather, the vegetable tanned leather that saddles are made from. I love it because like wood it can be waxed and oiled. Like wood it gets a patina, looks better as it ages and proven to last for centuries.

Lately I've seen some products made with "vegan leather" also known as the less popular "fake leather" or plastic!

Anyone seen any other crazy marketing gimmicks lately?Lately? Pleather has been around for a while now....

http://www.welcometothe70s.com/Images/beanbag.png

Ryan Mooney
11-09-2017, 12:17 PM
The new hip fad is Kombutcha Leather - Andrew, I'm pretty sure there are a few folks around us making it :D I was thinking waterproofed kombutcha leather dog booties, that would have to sell to the Portland crowd :rolleyes:

Andrew Joiner
11-09-2017, 12:54 PM
I believe the Panera Bread claimrefers to all their meat being free from antibiotics.

Yes, one might think that but the Panera Bread company does not say their "clean food" is free from antibiotics. If you look at their "clean food" definition it sounds warm and fuzzy. I'd prefer reading an ingredient list to trusting Panera to interpret what is good for me.

Andrew Joiner
11-09-2017, 1:05 PM
The new hip fad is Kombutcha Leather - Andrew, I'm pretty sure there are a few folks around us making it :D I was thinking waterproofed kombutcha leather dog booties, that would have to sell to the Portland crowd :rolleyes:
Yes, Ryan and when the booties dissolve we can claim" they're meant to automatically recycle back to the Earth". Of course we'll have to charge more for that feature!

Jim Koepke
11-09-2017, 2:23 PM
Lately? Pleather has been around for a while now....

http://www.welcometothe70s.com/Images/beanbag.png

Pity all the poor little noggas that gave up their hide for that bean bag chair.

jtk