PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 514x2 fence question

James Jayko
11-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Hey everybody, resawing continues to be a struggle with this saw. Getting better at setting it up, but the extruded resawing fence does not appear to be square to the table, and it does not appear to be adjustable. Using a square, it rocks just a bit when put against the fence and table. This seems like a manufacturing defect, doesn’t it? Or am I missing something, again?

Mike Ontko
11-08-2017, 1:38 PM
Hi James, I've got the G0513X2BF which might have a similar fence system. There should be adjustments (info is in the owner's manual) that you can make to bring the fence into alignment with the blade (to compensate for blade drift) and with the table. If the resaw attachment is loose, you should be able to crank the hold down that attaches it to the fence. That hold down just has the one bolt, which doesn't seem very strong but it's worked well enough for me so far (and after resawing several hundred lineal feet of 8/4 ash and cherry).

Prashun Patel
11-08-2017, 1:44 PM
My G0514x2 has the same issue. I have just lived with it for the past couple years. The saw has otherwise been good.

I thought about tapping a couple holes through the fence base to accept set screws that could be used to adjust.

My fix has been to shim between the fence and face.

Mike, mine has no integral adjustment for this.

Mike Ontko
11-08-2017, 5:47 PM
Mike, mine has no integral adjustment for this.

Really? No adjustment screws on the left and right sides (on the bottom, I believe) of the lock-down handle?

glenn bradley
11-08-2017, 9:54 PM
My G0513X has the same fence system. there are a couple of ways to deal with fence face to table perpendicularity. One way is like the original Beisemeyer fences; you adjust the front rail to achieve fence face alignment. The Grizzly fence has an easier method and that is to shim the cast iron to aluminum locking base interface location. There is a ~ 1/8" metal plate used as a sort of riser. You can add shim stock to one side or the other if you don't want to fool with the front rail.

Once my cast iron fence part was perpendicular I noticed that the aluminum extrusion was not true in the low-fence position. A strip or foil tape along the extrusion where is meets the CI took care of that. This is less shimming than one of my cabinet saws took and many a dovetail-way jointer is shimmed into alignment. I don't consider this a defect and I certainly wouldn't live with it for the small effort required to correct it.

If you want to talk about a design flaw . . . how about that handle location!?! I don't know about you but, I sometimes want to adjust my fence without removing a large heavy blank from the saw while cutting veneers or resawing. I posted a thread on this but, the search engine is such a pig I can't find it. Here's the pics again:

Remove the handle and find a bolt replacement.

371297 . 371298

Mill a scrap of hardwood to accept the handle mounting block on one side and a counterbore for the bolt head and washer on the other.

Now I can unlock the fence with stock in play. This is the new unlocked position.

This is the new locked position.