PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid JP0610

Mitchell Ristine
11-08-2017, 9:07 AM
My local craigslist has a Ridgid JP0610 for $225. Very good condition. Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with that jointer?

Grant Wilkinson
11-08-2017, 9:26 AM
I've had one since they first came out - several years ago now. I hooked it to 220V, since it is dual voltage, FWIW. I've never had a problem with it. I am just a hobbyist so I can't comment on how it would hold up to daily commercial battering, but I've not done anything to mine other than having the blades sharpened.

Dave Sweeney
11-08-2017, 9:48 AM
If it's as you say in very good condition then I'd say that's a fair price. Properly setup there's not much that can go wrong with a jointer and the Ridgid has received pretty favorable reviews over the years.

Josh Kocher
11-08-2017, 10:15 AM
I've had one for 5 years or so that I bought used for about that price and it runs very well.

Nike Nihiser
11-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I have had one for 8 years or so. I am just a hobbyist also but have had no problems with mine. That's less than half price at Home Depot.

Victor Robinson
11-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I had this jointer for several years - it was my first. Really good machine if you can get it at a low/used price.

Curt Harms
11-08-2017, 3:27 PM
Do you know what you'll use it for? If you're planning to do mostly edge jointing or face jointing of narrow stock, 6" is fine and the price seems good. I buy mostly rough sawn boards and many of them are more than 6" wide, some quite a bit wider than 6". I had a 6" jointer and found it limiting for face jointing/flattening wider boards. Yes there are ways but I found it a pain. I bought a 12" jointer/planer and it works much better for what I need a jointer for. I sometimes skip plane rough boards to get an idea of grain and flaws then cut to rough size before facing/jointing/planing which can help with the board width issue and also result in less waste.

Josh Kocher
11-09-2017, 12:19 AM
Yeah, a 16" jointer is more capable... totally.

But if all you can afford/need is a 6" machine, this is okay, and will likely work well for you.

You can work with wider boards with some f-n around, but it's not perfect...

Dan Schocke
11-09-2017, 1:53 PM
I own this model of jointer, and it has been a really good machine for me. I purchased mine during one of Home Depot's closeout specials, and it was $199 at that point so it was a no-brainer. I replaced the v-belt when it was new because the quality of the one in the box was sketchy, but everything else has been solid. The blades are a very common size, so easy to find.

I don't find the 6" jointer as limiting as most folks appear to be saying. I mostly build furniture, and in general the majority of pieces are less than 6" wide. The exception being table tops, and the 2-4 boards I need for that are easy enough to deal with using the planer sled method or just by flattening the first 6" of width on the jointer and finishing with a hand plane or planer. If I had room, I'd love a 12" or 16" jointer, but I don't think an 8" jointer would be life-changing for me.

If I made a lot of dining tables I'd probably have a different point of view.

--Dan

Mitchell Ristine
11-09-2017, 2:24 PM
My local craigslist has a Ridgid JP0610 for $225. Very good condition. Does anyone have positive or negative experiences with that jointer?

What about a 0600 for $200.00?