PDA

View Full Version : Live Edge Walnut Extension Table

Bennett Ostroff
11-08-2017, 12:14 AM
I just finished this table and had to share it with fellow woodworkers. The main table is 78" long. There are two 18" extensions, so 9.5 feet total. I designed the base and extension hardware/brackets and had a local metal shop I work with fabricate everything. Each extension has four set screw/knobs that screw into the brackets to make everything flush and prevent pulling out.

My finishing steps for the top were BLO -> dewaxed shellac -> five coats of gloss wipe-on poly -> two coats of semi-gloss wipe-on poly.

Jim Becker
11-08-2017, 9:48 AM
Wow...nice piece! Living here in the land of Nakashima, I'm a big fan of stunning, live-edge pieces and yours is top-notch!

Interestingly, this general design is what I'm considering for a dining table project I have planned and validates what I was thinking about doing. I thank for for that!!

Pat Barry
11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I agree - I really like the top and the live edge treatment. Interesting way to deal with the removable extensions also. Nice work

Joe Kendal
03-20-2018, 2:23 AM
Nice top. I noticed no slotted holes for table expansion. Could that split that top with seasonal movement?

Bennett Ostroff
03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
The holes on the top plate are 1/2" diameter. I used #12 screws which allows them plenty of room to move. I've done this for many years and have never had an issue.