PDA

View Full Version : Rochester, NY

John Scarpa
11-06-2017, 10:17 AM
I値 be staying in the Fairport area the 2nd and 3rd weeks of May 2018. I will have lot痴 of time on my hands as my wife will be visiting friends and relatives. Are there any woodwoking venues I should checkout while I知 there? I知 not familiar with the area.

Daniel Smith
11-06-2017, 11:38 AM
I went to high school in Fairport and still have family there. Unfortunately, I moved away before getting into woodworking, so I can't help much for those types of spots. Stickley has a museum and factory in the Syracuse area which is about an hour east. There is a Stickley store at Eastview mall (the next town over from Fairport). If you're into veneer, Certainly Wood is a little over an hour west in the Buffalo area. It's on my list if I ever find time on a trip back home. I'm curious to see what else is in the area.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
See the George Eastman Photo Museum. I too reccomend the side trip to Syracuse. See the Niagra Mohawk building, a most exuberant Art Deco icon. Every time I see it, I expect to see SUPERMAN flying over .

John Scarpa
11-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the tip!!

I went to high school in Fairport and still have family there. Unfortunately, I moved away before getting into woodworking, so I can't help much for those types of spots. Stickley has a museum and factory in the Syracuse area which is about an hour east. There is a Stickley store at Eastview mall (the next town over from Fairport). If you're into veneer, Certainly Wood is a little over an hour west in the Buffalo area. It's on my list if I ever find time on a trip back home. I'm curious to see what else is in the area.

John Scarpa
11-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Put them on my list. Thanks!

See the George Eastman Photo Museum. I too reccomend the side trip to Syracuse. See the Niagra Mohawk building, a most exuberant Art Deco icon. Every time I see it, I expect to see SUPERMAN flying over .

Lee Schierer
11-06-2017, 4:07 PM
The Stickley Factory is just 2 hours away in Manlius NY. They have factory tours, but I'm not sure of the times.

Wade Lippman
11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Just saw that we are expecting snow next week. It is not something I would recommend.:o

John Scarpa
11-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Sounds good

John Scarpa
11-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Snow?? Ohboh

John TenEyck
11-07-2017, 9:15 AM
Fear not, the snow will be gone by May, probably. I took the Stickley factory tour a few months ago. It's at 10 AM every Tuesday, but check their website as it may change. If you want to see production woodworking it's a great tour. If you want to see small shop, hand work, don't bother. The Genesee Country Museum is in Mumford, just 20 miles S. of Rochester and well worth a half day or more if you like working, open air museums from the 1700 and 1800's; this one is the largest in NYS. Niagara Falls is only 80 miles to the W. of Rochester and definitely worth a trip if you have never seen it.

John