PDA

View Full Version : Quarter sawn spruce

Dan McGonigle
11-05-2017, 5:26 PM
Does anyone have a source for quartersawn spruce? I’m looking for actual lumber, rough sawn, rather than the thin and small peices sold by hobby sites and luthier suppliers. I’m in NJ and haven’t had any luck at any of my “nearby” lumber suppliers either.

Brian Holcombe
11-05-2017, 6:38 PM
Willard has AYC which maybe is a substitute?? Otherwise I would contact Boro and ask them, they specialize in softwoods but typically sell bulk commercially.

Joey Naeger
11-05-2017, 7:50 PM
I've occasionally find large spruce boards at the lumber yard where the slab passes through the center of the tree. Cut out the middle and you have quartersawn spruce. Failing that, you could check tonewood suppliers, but expect to pay a premium.

Jim Becker
11-05-2017, 7:58 PM
I agree with Brian...check with Willard Brothers in Trenton and see if they can source. If not, talk with Hearne Hardwoods.

Dan McGonigle
11-05-2017, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully I can track some down

Brian Holcombe
11-05-2017, 11:14 PM
Dan, actually I think Niece in Lambertville has fairly tightly grained spruce, in the form of construction lumber but IIRC pretty good quality.

Ernie Miller
11-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Try Maurice Condon (http://www.condonlumber.net/). I've been buying quarter sawn spruce from them for years. They're in White Plains, NY, 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Prashun Patel
11-06-2017, 8:30 AM
If you aren't hepped up on spruce, you may have better luck finding "vertical grain douglas fir". The soft woods are sometimes sold as 'vg' instead of 'quartersawn'

Jim Becker
11-06-2017, 9:05 AM
Dan, actually I think Niece in Lambertville has fairly tightly grained spruce, in the form of construction lumber but IIRC pretty good quality.
Another good suggestion