PDA

View Full Version : Wanna adopt some llamas?

John K Jordan
11-05-2017, 12:41 AM
At the moment I'm sitting in a hotel in the middle of North Carolina but will be back at the farm in TN in a few days. As a volunteer for the South East Llama Rescue organization our team recently captured two badly neglected llamas and I moved them to my farm. (The situation was sad - custody and "care" of these animals, one a baby at the time, was apparently used in a divorce to take them away to punish the spouse who loved them.) I have someone feeding them while I'm away but they are awaiting care and handling/training the moment I get back home.

The younger one was unhandled since birth about 10 years ago and nearly feral - quite a challenge to just catch him but by the time I left for this trip he was responding to attention and training. Llamas are smart.

The older one has some physical and health issues including being totally blind and having some arthritis, but he is getting around just fine, especially with his buddy to help. He is now getting the best vet care possible. (Neither one had any medical care in the 10 years)

Their coats look horrible since we had to trim off 10 years of matted wool with scissors but leave it thick enough so they can survive the winter. We couldn't shear them enough to make them "pretty"! (Even the scissors cut is exciting with a powerful terrified 200lb+ animal trying to do everything possible to escape the evil attackers!!)

If you know anyone able and willing to adopt or foster these boys here is some info. (There is an adoption fee but I'd be willing to donate part of it to find them a good home.)

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103923984753033135351/album/AF1QipNpymERMr5W-hVZFyRgLW06XEyygdmWz2Rl4Fcl/AF1QipO4Y2wR3GLdqpqd4Z1Umn223u2Cp2MTkui-dxZe

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103923984753033135351/album/AF1QipNpymERMr5W-hVZFyRgLW06XEyygdmWz2Rl4Fcl/AF1QipMOjLAMzJArLzdKssVAlEKLNXAq6u7ioTAiY5OM

JKJ

Matt Meiser
11-05-2017, 7:08 AM
Do not show this to my daughter! We have a very easy-going HOA but I'm sure they would put their foot down on Llamas!

Shawn Pixley
11-05-2017, 10:32 AM
I can’t help with adoption myself. My house covers 90% of my 3500 sf lot. There are ranchers up in Ojai who raise Llamas. I’ll check.

You are a good man to rescue the poor critters (critters is meant in the most affectionate and respectful way). Having rescued a lot of critters (dogs, cats, birds, bats, lizzards, snakes, voles, etc.) I can appreciate what efferts you are putting in to this. Great work!

John K Jordan
11-05-2017, 10:02 PM
You are a good man to rescue the poor critters (critters is meant in the most affectionate and respectful way). Having rescued a lot of critters (dogs, cats, birds, bats, lizzards, snakes, voles, etc.) I can appreciate what efferts you are putting in to this. Great work!

Anyone with empathy and compassion and the time and resources would do the same thing. We call them critters too!

I've run into people who rescue other animals too. There is a Horse Haven near here which will take in any horse. A girl I know adopted a thoroughbred who was put "out to pasture" when he quit winning races. The problem was there were a number of horses in the same 2-acre paddock left to fend for themselves - by the time of the rescue some had already died of starvation.

There is a surprisingly large network of llama lovers who volunteer their time and energy. (Matt - maybe your daughter could volunteer locally!) I am incredibly fortunate to have the space, pens, and shelters temporarily hold animals as needed. Since I am retired and have a good trailer I often get asked if I would be able to move llamas/alpacas to foster or adoptive homes.

Some of my llamas and alpacas are from the rescue organization. For example, when I wanted a companion male to grow up with my 4-month old boy Bubinga (so he would learn to be a llama instead of a human) I found one the same age on the web site in New York. I told the coordinator he looked perfect but he sure was far away. She called my back shortly and said he would be here Tuesday! Some guy was hauling rescued llamas from Michigan to Alabama and "swung by" New York state and brought the little male and his mother to my door a couple of days later!!! After the youngster was weaned I delivered the mother to an adoptive home in Orlando FL, along with another rescue llama I picked up south of Atlanta. I get a lot of satisfaction seeing an animal placed in a good home.

(And you should see the people who stop to watch and photograph and ask questions when we transfer llamas in a Walmart parking lot!)

BTW, the organization vets the adoptive farm ahead of time to make sure they have the space, shelter, fencing, and know-how to care for llamas.

I think there are similar llama rescue organizations in the west but they all cooperate when possible.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
11-05-2017, 11:30 PM
The fact that someone abused the animals as a demented torture by proxy is a deeply disturbing thing. Sounds like some must have decided to not "get involved". John, thanks for your compassionate help.

Perry Hilbert Jr
11-06-2017, 6:29 AM
we have taken in animals in the past. Too many animals. Right now we have six dogs, 5 of them rescues. 9 sheep, offspring from a small flock rescued 12 years ago. A horse we took in because the owner could no longer afford to feed it. Wish I could say yes. Just don't have the budget for extra mouths at this time.