PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 62 bearings

Andrew Hamilton
11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Hi, I'm new to posting here and I'm hoping someone can offer some knowledge.
I recently picked up an older Powermatic model 62 contractor-type table saw. I've gotten it cleaned up and running, but I think it would be very happy with new arbor bearings.
The trunnions are bolted to the top, not the small cabinet, so I thought at first that I'd remove the table, flip it over and try to drive the arbor and bearing out of the armature. I realized, though, that the blade height and angle mechanisms would prevent easy removal.
Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to address this? Are there any websites that might show a step-by-step tutorial for this type of saw?
Any help would be appreciated- Thanks!

Tom M King
11-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I still have one that I bought new in 1974. It's been a long time since I replaced the bearings, but I believe I turned the saw over onto it's top, and lifted the base off.

Do you have the mobility kit for that saw? It was one of the best ever. There are two fold down handles on the front, and two stationary wheels on the back. The wheels stay just above the floor, until you lift the two handles, and move it like a wheelbarrow.

It's a great little, heavy saw, and I did a tremendous amount of work with it.

Andrew Hamilton
11-04-2017, 6:05 PM
I still have one that I bought new in 1974. It's been a long time since I replaced the bearings, but I believe I turned the saw over onto it's top, and lifted the base off.

Do you have the mobility kit for that saw? It was one of the best ever. There are two fold down handles on the front, and two stationary wheels on the back. The wheels stay just above the floor, until you lift the two handles, and move it like a wheelbarrow.

It's a great little, heavy saw, and I did a tremendous amount of work with it.

It didn't come with the mobility kit, unfortunately. I bought a cheapie mobile tool base from Rockler- it does the job, but I've seen pics of the system you're talking about and it looks great... I'll keep my eyes open for one.
It's good to hear that your saw is still operational- I hope to keep this one going for many more years. I'll see if turning it over helps make the project more doable.
I'm really impressed with the quality of the thing, especially the top and the fence- top is nicely machined and flat and the fence is stout and (gasp) stays parallel to the blade. It's really a shame that the days of this kind of quality are behind us.
Thanks for the reply!

Tom M King
11-04-2017, 6:38 PM
I have never seen another one, before, or after I bought mine. I burned the 1-1/2 hp motor up when I was young, and foolish, and replaced it with a 2hp. It's never given me any trouble since then. It was the only table saw I had for over 20 years, and then I finally went to a cabinet saw for better dust collection. It's as smooth cutting, and precise as any cabinet saw. They didn't "upgrade" anything when they switched to the 64-just made it lighter. Mine has cast iron top and wings like a cabinet saw.

I remember when I ordered it. The dealer and I sat down in his office, and he figured the price would be about $600. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was around that. I've bought many woodworking tools since then, but that was the last new, big tool I bought.

I like the fence a lot too. I still find myself reaching for the fine adjustment knob, even after years of using a Biesmeyer.