PDA

View Full Version : gas wall oven - only use moisture resistant?

mike waters
11-04-2017, 9:34 AM
""To prevent possible damage to the cabinets, use only moisture resistant materials and finishes that will withstand temperatures up to 190 degrees F(88 degrees C)""

That is in the literature.. Does this mean I should only use moisture resistant MDF? Right now, I am just using baltic birch (13 ply high-quality).
Any tips?

Bill Adamsen
11-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Baltic birch is fabricated with waterproof glue. Though the raw wood itself is not waterproof and requires protection. I would think finishing would protect it as long as the finish and clearances meet spec.

mike waters
11-04-2017, 3:27 PM
Baltic birch is fabricated with waterproof glue. Though the raw wood itself is not waterproof and requires protection. I would think finishing would protect it as long as the finish and clearances meet spec.

this is the finish i was planning on using:
http://www.monocoat.us/content/pdf/msds/MSDS-Oil-Plus-2C-Part-A.pdf

I can coat the inside of the cabinet with something else though - like rustoleum or something.
The ovens themselves will only be next to edgeband and filler's.
There is a drawer above and below as well.

John TenEyck
11-04-2017, 4:17 PM
I'm not sure I would use any finish inside a cabinet housing an oven. If it isn't going to be seen why finish it? I made my kitchen boxes from Melamine, so it was a non issue, but if I were using unfinished plywood I doubt I would finish the inside of the oven cabinet; maybe a coat of shellac just because.

But to Bill's point, I think as long as you maintain the required clearances any finish would work.

John

Bill Dufour
11-04-2017, 5:46 PM
I do not know why waterproof is needed. may be for washing down the counter and some water runs into the cabinet?
Bill D

Wayne Lomman
11-04-2017, 7:26 PM
Certainly use moisture resistant materials. Nothing else should be used when building kitchens. This can be mdf, ply or chipboard. If the ply you are using has waterproof glue you are fine. I wouldn't bother finishing inside. It's just that if you do finish inside, it must be heat resistant to 88C. Cheers

Keith Weber
11-05-2017, 3:38 AM
I'll go against the grain here and say that I would put a waterproof finish on the inside of the cabinets surrounding an oven. The reason that I'd do this is that when cooking, there can be a lot of humidity in an oven. If this air has any possibility of getting inside the enclosure, then you would want to protect the wood from this steaming air. It would, of course, depend on the design of the oven and how it's vented, but no harm can be done by taking a short time to finish the enclosure, and you're covered if hot, humid air does get in there.

Mark Bolton
11-05-2017, 7:59 PM
The only place thats going to see moisture is the area above the door where the vents are. The moisture from cooking, and more so the moisture from 100% humidity created from and unvented natural gas or even worse LP combustion, is what's going to eat your finish on a cab, faceframe, or door, above the wall oven. The interior of the wall oveb cabinet doesn't matter, nothing other than residual heat goes into that cabinet.

If you are using any decent quality commercial cabinet finish you will be fine.